Chimney flashing Estimate---is this too much to pay?

Old 10-02-03, 02:40 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chimney flashing Estimate---is this too much to pay?

I recently had an estimate written up to replace the flashing on my chimney. It's hard to explain, but I'll give it a shot.

As the chimney climbs vertically up the side of the house, there is flashing on the sides of the chimney that runs up the side of the house between the siding and the chimney itself for about 4'----all the way to the peak of the roof. There there is the typical flashing around the chimney at the top. The flashing on the side, where the siding meets the brick chimney, was tarred once and it's pulling apart from the chimney and allowing water in behind it. I don't have any leaks---yet.

I had someone come out to write an estimate to replace the flashing on the sides of the chimney and around the top of the chimney at the roof.

Word for word is the estimate---"I would reccommend removing and replacing the counterflashing (cap flashing), leaving existing base flashing in place. I would grind out the morder joints to a depth of ~3/4" so that the new flashing could be bent over and scaled into the joint. I would use brown factory finished aluminum---it will llok much better from the street that then bright metal that I have now. The price for labor and materials would be $366."

Honestly, I have no idea what something like that is worth. My first reaction was that the estimate was expensive. Then I thought about the length on BOTH sides of the chimney---4' and then the top. Maybe that's not bad?? I am hoping someone here will be able to tell me. If you want pictures of the chimney, let me know. I can easily take them.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Curt B. Shumaker

Old 10-02-03, 07:07 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I probably don't have a real good mind picture of what your chimney looks like but if the guy pointed out to you exactly what flashing is to be removed and replaced, and it's where you know you have a problem, then it sounds like an OK price.

A couple of things. Is this a reliable "tradesman"? Does he operate a place of business or just operate out of his truck? Been in business awhile? Willing to stand behind his work? If he's a "fly by night" guy, no guarantee is any good.

My feeling is, to get anyone to do reliable work, (that I can't or won't do myself) is worth $300-$500 any day of the week.

Don't know what part of the country you're in either. Local labor rates, insurance rates play a large role in pricing jobs like this.

Frank

Old 10-03-03, 01:51 AM
S
More detail. I am located in Central Ohio. Yes, the guy is a legitimate business. I work in the insurance industry and have asked for a certificate of insurance---which he is willing to provide.

In terms of what the chimney looks like---my house is a two story and the chimney is probably 4' wide at the bottom but narrows as it climbs up to the top of the house. At that point, it's probably 2' wide. Just a guess. Again, the last 4' before the top of the roof, on the sides where the siding touch the chimney, are where the flashing is pulling away. The same can be said around the top of the chimney at the roof.

Hope that helps.
Curt B. Shumaker

Old 10-03-03, 04:37 AM
Curt,

The price doesn't sound too bad, but if you have any doubts, you should get at least two more estimates.
It's a good idea to always get three of four bids for any contracted work to be done with the full explanation similar to what you received.

fred

Old 10-03-03, 08:54 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Try for copper. Mortar eats aluminum and steel flashing pretty quickly. The rest of the proposal sounds good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: