homemade scaffolding

Old 10-03-03, 09:04 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
homemade scaffolding

Does anyone know of any plans to make scaffolding. I've got some ideas in my head, but not being an engineer, I am not sure I would trust my own design.

Old 10-03-03, 07:22 PM
Why do you want to build scaffolding, and how high do you want to go ?

Old 10-04-03, 07:04 AM
Good news is, knowing some of the engineers i do, i wouldn't trust the engineers design either. If i was you, i would just buy scaffolding, if someone else uses your design and IF it fails it will be a huge liability for you.

Old 10-04-03, 10:32 AM
B
well I need to replace my hip roof eventually. I need to get 16 feet high. I see people working on pump jacks, doesn't look real safe but seems to get the job done. I suppose I could buy some, but am trying to trim costs. I need to strip two layers of asphalt and a layer of cedar shake. Then I'll need to put plywood down, etc., so I am thinking if I take my time, as much a year if I wanted to ,I'd just buy a ton of 2X4's and go to town. I have this vision of encapsulating the house with scaffolding. Remember when they did the Statue of liberty? I was quoted 8 grand to do the job, btw.

Old 10-04-03, 04:44 PM
If you hired me to do the job, I would just rent the scaffolding. Very inexpensive to rent. Most good rental places will have it. To go 16' you will need 6 frames, 4 safety braces, and 2 aluminum plank. You can rent it cheaper then you can buy the 2x4's. Scaffolding is nothing to mess around with. do not build your own.

Old 10-07-03, 04:48 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I just finished re-siding my house and I built my scaffolding, but I was only 6' high; no way would I go up 16'. The lumber will now be used for a tree house for my grandson.

If you're going up 16', listen to Jack the Contractor and rent the stuff. Is it possible save some money by scaffolding only part at a time and moving it as needed?

Bruce

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: