reroofing flat roof over garage

Old 10-06-03, 06:08 PM
Toni G.
Visiting Guest
Wink reroofing flat roof over garage

I have a flat roof over my garage in Lake Tahoe. Last summer a guy put down some ply wood, tar paper and spread some gray liguid stuff over it. The snow was pretty hard on this surface.
Can i lay tar paper or some emusion down and put regular rolled roofing down next summer. Will this hold. Or should I just nail it down.
Thanks Toni

Old 10-07-03, 12:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I used to always say "you can't make a flat roof not leak". However, the professionally installed, modified bitumin or other torch down systems have put the lie to that. We've actually converted one house and one "cabin" that started out with flat roofs to pitched roofs. Worked like a charm (not a small project) and improved the values immensely.

My brother converted a flat roof house to pitched roof, enlarging the house slightly at the same time. Over the next 10 years almost the entire street of (houses built in late '40s, early '50s) followed suit. This was in the Bay Area and brought their square footage values in line with the rest of the town. Also no more roof repairs every 3 or 4 years.

Frank

Old 10-07-03, 06:20 PM
Toni G.
Visiting Guest
Hi Frank
I think you misunderstood me. My roof does not leak. I can see the liquid gray plastic stuff the roofer put on top of the tar paper
fading. So I thought I would put more tar paper down, and either emusion or some tar stuff and put the rolled continuous roofing
material down on it or nail it.
Will this work???

Old 10-09-03, 12:59 PM
Caspertg
Visiting Guest
If its not leaking the tar paper (or felt) is not needed. If it makes you feel better to re-coat it, that is fine. The added tar paper wouldn't do any good though.

Paul

Old 10-09-03, 04:58 PM
Toni G.
Visiting Guest
Thanks Paul
The reason I wanted to put the rolled roofing paper. It looks like the 4 by 2 laid out only rolled: is because the gray liquid stuff is soft.
I felt it would be easier to walk on. I put railings up because people go upstairs and look at the stars on this deck.
I know if it's not broken addiage-- Just want to make it stronger.
What say you.
Can I just buy the rolled roofing and tack it down.
Thanks
Toni

Old 10-10-03, 04:49 AM
Caspertg
Visiting Guest
So are you looking to get more tranction out of it, or just trying to get a piece of mind?

Sure you could just take some tar paper down, but I don't know what kind of good that would do. Unless you are just looking for something to walk on.

In that case, I would suggest buying some walkpads and putting them in a bed of plastic roofing cement.

Paul

Old 10-10-03, 05:04 AM
Toni G.
Visiting Guest
Hi
What are walk pads? And yes, both.
Are you referring to the gray plastic stuff again or a different kind of plastic liquid first. Can you name it not by brand but say like emusion or roof cement.
I do all the work myself up there and learn from instruction.
Thank you for your time.
Toni

Old 10-10-03, 10:45 AM
Caspertg
Visiting Guest
Walk pads in general (what we use) are preformed, skid resistant boards consisting of modified asphalt, reinforcemnets ant fillers with a ceramic granule surface on both sides. Each manufacturer uses there own, but Johns Mansville makes one called "Dynatred"

An easy way to apply this is to get plastic roofing cement (any hardware store) and trowel a 1/8" bed of it on the surface and set the pad into place.

Paul

Old 10-13-03, 05:29 PM
Toni G.
Visiting Guest
Thank you Paul.
Now I feel a little more prepared to take on this job.
I will be doing it next June. I always prepare b efore going into a job.
I appreciate hearing from the men who have had experience.
That's how I did my first tiling job.
Being a woman I appreciate experienced advise.
Thanks again.
Toni

Old 10-13-03, 07:18 PM
Caspertg
Visiting Guest
Its a pleasure to help. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Just remember to make sure you have a dry surface to start with!

Paul

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: