Digging near/below foundation-drainage

Old 10-07-03, 10:08 AM
jkohio
Visiting Guest
Question Digging near/below foundation-drainage

Hello everyone,
This is my first thread and I would like to thank you in advance for any responses.

Here is my problem. My drain tile that the downspouts go into is broken or shifted and water in now comming into my basement. I want to dig it up and replace it with new pipe. Only one problem-let me try to explain. My house only has a basement under 1/2 of it and a crawel space under the other half. The drain line is about 3-4 feet under the ground near of the house. I am fine with digging up the section that is next to the basement but it is the other half that is burried below the grade of the foundation that I am worried about.

Do you think it will be ok to dig up the pipe even though it is below the grade of the foundation? I am worried about the structural integrity of the house.

Any input would be appriciated.

John K.

Old 10-07-03, 06:29 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This excavation won't represent a shifing load against the house, will expose only part of the foundation, won't be exposed long, and someone has to do it. I would not worry about such a project.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-08-03, 05:18 AM
jkohio
Visiting Guest
chfite,

Thanks for your input. That was about what I thought but wanted to get a second opinion.

Anyone out there that has done something simmilar to this and wants to share?

John K.

Old 10-08-03, 09:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Way back in 1976 when I lived in NE Ohio we dug up around the foundation of our house, to expose the walls all the way down to the footer drains.
We had to replace two walls, one wall was 40 long this one was removed all the way down to the footer, and the other was 60' long from 4 courses above the footer. The nasty Ohio clay was pushing the walls in, improper back fill when constructed in 1962. Anyway the basement was exposed all the way around for approximately two months, and we replaced the footer drains with PVC drain pipe, the perforated kind all the way around and into the sump pump crock. The house never suffered any ill effects from exposing the footer, it still stands today.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: