Installing gutter

Old 10-08-03, 09:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing gutter

I put up a deck/outbuilding which is about 20' by 17' at the roof perimeter (rectangle- no funky corners, valleys etc.). A company is coming Friday to deliver seamless gutter and other parts, and I'll install it Saturday.

In researching DIY info on installing, "they" say to slope it about 1" for every 16'. They assume you're installing 10' sections with slip connectors, though. They say to find the center of one side, and slope it in both directions toward the ends.
However with seamless gutters, will it flex enough to slope in both directions? Or will I slope it from one end to the other? The second option seems like it's going to look quite crooked. From the first corner to the 4th, it'll drop about 3 1/4" to 3 1/2". Won't that look funny?
Please advise.

Old 10-09-03, 12:58 PM
Caspertg
Visiting Guest
The answer to your question depends on how far apart your downspouts will be placed.

SMACNA suggests a 1/16" per foot slope for proper drainage, but I wouldn't be too concerned about following that to the letter with the lengths you are using.

To make it uniform slope to 2 opposite corners.

Paul

Old 10-10-03, 04:34 AM
Thanks, Paul

Old 10-10-03, 04:45 AM
Caspertg
Visiting Guest
No problem friend.

If you would like, I can scan the SMACNA pages that detail the installation of gutter and e-mail them to you.

Paul

Old 10-14-03, 08:23 AM
Thanks Paul.
I did find some install info on the 'net, so I'm OK. I compromised between the 1" per 16' and what looked reasonable and the front gutter looks pretty good and seems to have enough slope. From the 1st corner to the last (where the leader connects, it'll drop about 1 3/4", so It think that'll work.
(I may find out tonight - heavy rain in the forcast).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: