?'s: counterflashing, "silver" coat for roof

Old 10-09-03, 12:03 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
?'s: counterflashing, "silver" coat for roof

Hi everyone,

I went through the inspection of a house I am considering buying, and the inspector recommended counterflashing where the porch roof meets the house, as well as a coat of silver (oxide?) coating on the main roof within the next month or two.

Is counterflashing generally something that should be completed by a contractor? Is is an expensive procedure?

He said that I could probably apply the silver coating myself. Has anyone had success doing with a particular product?

Thanks mods and everyone else for your thoughts!

Old 10-09-03, 12:54 PM
Caspertg
Visiting Guest
First of all, I am assuming he means to use the emulsion on a flat roof. This serves to cut down on the UV rays attacking the mod-bit in the roofing products (assuming its a flat roof, I have never heard of coating a shingle roof)

As for counter-flashing, this *can* be done by yourself, but you would probably have to buy the flashing from a roofing contractor.

Basically, it is a piece of metal that has a caulk joint at the top, and covers the roofing flashing coming up the side (It should come up at least 8") The purpose of this is to stop water from attacking the raw edge of the roof membrane and eventually making it leak.

Paul

BTW: I am a project manager for a commercial roofing contractor.

Old 10-14-03, 02:04 PM
lanem
Visiting Guest
Hi --

Silver coating a flat roof is a very easy DIY roofing project, I have never done it but most of my neighbors have done their own. The product is pretty standard, as far as I know, is available at the big boxes and is recommended around here (Philadelphia) once every 5 years (mine was done just before I bought about 3 years ago). The material comes in gallon pails and you paint it on with a roofing brush.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: