rolled roofing

Old 10-11-03, 09:00 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
rolled roofing

I am about to lay down some roll roofing on a small patio overhead (16 x 12). Is there any trick to getting the roll to lay down perfectly flat? I have done it before using 30# felt, unrolled the roofing for 30 min or so to let it "relax" or settle out, attach according to mfg's specs--lapping joints, fastening edges but there always seems to be some slight ripples across the roof no matter how taut I get the material. The felt too underneath seems to pucker around the edges too even though I've fastened w/plenty of staples.
Will these ripples eventually dissappear over time as the roof goes through its heating/cooling--expansion/contraction modes?
Is this something to be concerned about?
Any answers,thanks.

Old 10-12-03, 12:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The reason for the ripples is that the rolled roofing has a set in it from being in a roll. About all you can do, is cut to length, the lay it upside down, and let it go flat on its own. Good Luck

Old 10-13-03, 11:14 AM
Caspertg
Visiting Guest
For best results, allow to relax for at least 3 hours. The membrane will relax better in warmer temps, and make sure you read the manufactures required temp for application. (Most sugest you do not apply in temps under 30 degrees)

Also, those ripples could be caused in trapped moisture underneath the system. If you are going to a wood deck I would suggest putting a 1/2" perlite board down and a PP-28 base on top of the perlite. Perlite is about 20 bucks for 100 sf and the PP-28 is about $19 for a 300sf roll. You still need to make sure you are going over a dry surface, but the tiny bit of moisture that is left can expand inside the perlite, versus turning to vapor and blistering your roof system.

Paul

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: