painting asphalt roof shingles

Old 10-17-03, 11:50 AM
Hammer
Visiting Guest
Question painting asphalt roof shingles

I have erected a pre-fab storage building (shed) purchased from Lowes in a highly vegetated area in my backyard. It is "concealed" by bushes and trees. The roof is compressed wood. I covered the roof with a white, asphalt-rolled roofing material (similiar to shingles) to add a layer of protection. Unfortuneately, the white roofing makes the shed highly visible in our backyard. My wife has asked me to paint the roof to make the shed less visible. Can asphalt roofing material be painted successfully? If so, with what?

Old 10-17-03, 12:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Probably be a waste of time. However, composition shingles are available in Green. Depending on the size of your shed it shouldn't take more than a bundle or two, and roofing is easy if you don't have roof jacks, skylights etc to deal with. Go for it and do it right.

Frank

Old 10-17-03, 01:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It "can" be painted, although I would recommend against it.
It may look ok at first, but the paint will fade and discolor at different rates and it will look very ugly after awhile.

I agree with "slum", there are green shingles and green rolled roofing available. It will look better and last longer.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: