Tube skylights and self-flashing skylights

Old 10-29-03, 04:23 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Question Tube skylights and self-flashing skylights

Does anyone from the midwest have experience with tube skylights and/or self-flashing skylights? I have some of each ready to install.

I was told that leaks should be expected eventually: five years or so and was discouraged from having them installed. He said that the snow/cold temps would be a factor.

The other thing is that our roof decking is of 1"X6" boards. I was told that if I chose to install skylights, the decking in the area of the skylights should be replaced with plyboard. (Maybe he said, "or OSB?)

Any thoughts about this? Advise will be appreciated very much.

Old 10-30-03, 06:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm not in the midwest but I'd sure use the tube type (sola tube etc) over any skylight. I just don't like the idea of a big hole in my roof. I've never installed the self flashing skylights but on every house I've ever re-roofed that had them we just put in flashing like usual.

Houses that I've been in with the sola tube seemed to have more light at the time of day than sky lights provided. No reason for anything properly installed to leak after 5 years. Are your roof jacks leaking?

I'm not sure about the situation with the 1 X 6 decking. It's definitely important to site the hole correctly in regard to the rafters, some extra bracing between the rafters to support the cut off ends may be in order.

Frank

Old 10-30-03, 07:34 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your suggestions and comments, SLF.

<Are your roof jacks leaking?>

I don't know what those are, but we don't have any leaks.

Additional helplful information is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-30-03, 03:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sorry, I just assumed if you were tacking roofing jobs.....

Roof jacks are the VENT PIPES that protrude through the roof to allow air flow for your water drains. They will either have a lead cover, or a FLANGED COVER WITH A RUBBER GASKET, (manufactured by OATEY usually), that keeps water out of the attic.

My point was, there is no reason for anything (correctly installed) to leak after 5 years, not all roofs have skylights but all roofs have roof jacks, and I've never heard of any "5 year problem" with any of them, even down here in the land of long, hot, sunny days.

Frank

Old 10-30-03, 08:19 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
That makes sense. Thanks. I'm encouraged to go ahead with my skylights!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: