Downspout Plug?

Old 11-03-03, 07:37 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Downspout Plug?

Hi,

A gutter on my house has down spouts on either side. I want to block the opening in the gutter on one side so that all the water will flow down just one of the downspouts. That is, I want to remove one downspout entirely.

How can I block/seal that little 2x3 opening?

Thanks.

Old 11-03-03, 09:04 AM
C
Remove the downspout. Cut a piece of metal of the appropriate type to cover the hole. Clean the surface. Pop-rivet it in place. Caulk with a siliconized-acrylic latex caulk. Paint the exposed part.

You may need to re-hang your gutter to make the slope run to the remaining downspout.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-03-03, 09:33 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You may need to re-hang your gutter to make the slope run to the remaining downspout.
Like to add to this you dont say what kind of gutters? If you can get the tube out ok. Take a piece of the same like gutter cut it about 2" longer that the hole. now cut the back of it off about 1" up from the bottom in the front cut it off there at that 1/2" up where the O/G starts.Take and put this on the bottom outside of the gutter and put it on like chfite said. If its galv. put it on the out side and just solder it from the inside ED

Old 11-06-03, 09:37 AM
A
Thanks, guys. Now for a stupid follow-up question. Say I don't re-hang the gutter and keep the current slope. Obviously, water will accumulate on the low side of the gutter until it is high enough to start flowing the other way. Is there anything terribly wrong with this?

Old 11-06-03, 11:08 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs down Gutters

Snow rain all turns to ice in the gutter and will tear the gutter right off the home. ED

Old 11-14-03, 04:03 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Doing what you want to do may be bad for your gutter system. You should have a downspout every 30 feet or risk backup and problems.

If the gutter system is copper or galvanized soldering is the best method.

I dislike pop rivets because they tend to "grab" more debris than screws.

Old 11-16-03, 03:04 PM
I agree with grumpy on the screws vs rivets thing and I think you're right about water standing on the end where you remove the downspout. This will eventually cause problems for you, either from excess weight of the standing water pulling the gutter off the fascia, or water backing up & getting between the gutter & fascia, & that can cause all kinds of problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: