Vertical cedar siding LEAKS

Old 11-05-03, 03:07 PM
paulkeogh
Visiting Guest
Angry Vertical cedar siding LEAKS

House has vertical tongue and groove cedar siding. Some pieces have been cut long wise to fit around windows, patio doors etc. so there is no tongue, just an almost flush fit. Rain is getting in through the small gaps and coming into house. What can I do to seal the gaps? Thanks.

Old 11-05-03, 04:58 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Caulk.

Old 11-05-03, 08:25 PM
paulkeogh
Visiting Guest
the gaps between the cedar boards where tongues are missing are so narrow, I don't know how I could get caulk in there.

Old 11-10-03, 12:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the window was never flanged properly. There should be some sort of water tight barrier under the siding lapping the windows. Caulk might help, but me thinks there's an underlayment problem here. A few more details, how old is the house, the siding?, any recent improvements around this area, roof, new window?

Old 11-11-03, 04:03 PM
paulkeogh
Visiting Guest
vertical cedar siding LEAKS

Thanks for your help, awesomedell!. The leaks appear to be between siding boards where the tongues are missing, rather than around windows. It appears that the boards were cut longwise to make everything fit on a short wall with big windows. There are about four places where water can enter. The cedar siding goes right down to a cantilevered deck that was added as a reno about 22 years ago. Because the angle between the deck and the siding is sealed with a flashing and tar, there is no escape once the water gets behind the siding - it is either trapped or forced into the house. I suppose whoever did this reno should have left somewhere for the water to escape outwards, but I am not sure how this could be done unless the siding was cut off above deck level.

Old 11-14-03, 03:51 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Was Tyvek not installed? It's code in my area for all siding installations... even cedar. The tyvek is the real waterproofer. Caulk around the windows is a must. We usually cap with aluminum before installing the siding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: