roof vent

Old 11-09-03, 06:29 PM
jmill1948
Visiting Guest
Angry roof vent

how do you install a vent in an existing roof? the vent pipe is sticking up through the shingles but i havent put the vent flashing on yet what should i do? thanks

Old 11-09-03, 10:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Get a vent boot to fit the size of the pipe at a building supply. It will have a rubber boot with a hole slightly smaller than the pipe O.D. in the middle of a metal flange base.
Slide it down over the top of the pipe, and put the metal base under the shingles above it.
I would use roofing cement under the metal flange before nailing it down.
Cement shingles over the metal to match the surrounding shingles for looks.
Good luck!.

Old 11-12-03, 02:48 PM
vents

Like Oldguy said about the jack for sure. You dont say what vent you have here or how big. But Id cut the pipe off inside the attic. take it out . Now work the jack up under the top shingles and dope it down. Slide the pipe back up in it. If just a sewer vent roll the top of the jack over and down the inside of the pipe. Furnace B vent a little dope around the top of the jack then slide the collar down on it. ED

Old 11-14-03, 04:49 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Never use a rubber vinyl flashing if flashing an iron pipe. We don't even use the vinyl rubber flashing for pvc soil pipes. There is a high risk for failure in the winter time.
Always use a lead flashing to vent your soil/plumbing pipes.

No matter what you use make sure the shingle coarses above the pipe over lap the flashing flange. Roofing tar/cement is not a bad idea, also be sure to caulk over any nail holes or nail heads.

Old 04-17-07, 09:35 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've been looking at lead flashing for the stack vent pipes on my roof. My roof is a 4 by 12. I'm trying to avoid using elastomeric product on my roof. I like the design where the lead flashing is one piece, cylinder to roof.

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=9673

The problem is these flashings are only recommended for 8 tilt max. A 4 by 12 roof is 18 tilt. What are my options?

Old 04-17-07, 10:43 AM
Wink

Might try http://www.bestmaterials.com/productsitemap.aspx?categoryid=1047

For a lead roof jack

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: