sheeting

Old 11-10-03, 09:12 PM
sfur
Visiting Guest
sheeting

I recently had my roof re shingled with architectural shingles...I had a few questions on the sheeting. My old roof had the old wood shingles. When they tore off they left the sheeting with the 2 to 3 inch gaps across the truses. They then put 1/4" luane/mohagany over the old 3/4" lats lats running across the rafters, then shingled. I was wondering if that sheeting certified for exterior use?

Old 11-11-03, 02:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Although roof sheathing isn't supposed to be directly exposed to the elements and therefore doesn't necessarily have to be exterior grade as far as I know, I doubt that luan paneling is the ideal roof sheathing.
Check with your local Building Inspection Department.
Good luck!

Old 11-11-03, 03:19 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Definately check with the building department like OldGuy says.

Actually I would be more concerned about the nails that occaisionally land in the gaps between the old boards and have ony 1/4" of luan holding them. You just know that has to happen.

Bruce

Old 11-14-03, 03:53 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
In a situation like you described we install 1/2" CDX plywood ove the spaced decking. This is very common. I don't know if the 1/4" material you described would be a sufficent nailing base.

A nailing base is really the goal when installing the secondary decking voer the spaced decking. The original decking provides the support you need.

Old 11-15-03, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi sfur and welcome to the forums. Really wish you would have checked in here prior to hiring this done. The contractor that did your roof really put the screws to you IMO! 1/4" luan is not rated for roofing underlayment and should not be used as such, for exactly the reason Bruce described. 1/2" sheeting would be ok, my choice is to go with 5/8" sheeting.

I'd tell you to get a lawyer & sue the clown that did this type of work, but I doubt seriously the hack has any assets or insurance. Good luck with the roof, but I doubt it'll last 1/3 of the rated life of the shingles.

You should check with local officials to see if there's any enforcable code in your area. You can also research local bldg codes on this site www.permitplace.com

Last edited by awesomedell; 11-15-03 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-16-03, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sfur,

Very sorry if I put you off with my reply yesterday, just that hacks who do work like that really get me steamed. I would give the contractor a call & discuss this matter. I don't think you can find any shingle manufacter that will warranty this installation. Not to mention what your homeowner's agent would have to say.

Just as Grumpy & Bruce have said, the areas where you have only the 1/4" luan as a nail base will result in nails pulling out & shingles coming loose. At the very least the guy should either refund 1/2 the cost of the roof or else really he should just replace it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: