New Roof installation

Old 11-17-03, 10:40 AM
kwebster
Visiting Guest
Unhappy New Roof installation

In June we had a new roof put on our 1959 ranch. We went with a local family company that's been around since the 30's with a great reputation for quality. Now here's the problem. When I went on the roof this fall to clean the gutters I noticed that a few (More than 5, less than 10) roofing nails are exposed. In two places it looks like they gobbed clear silicone over the top of them but in other places they didn't do anything. This is NOT on the ridge vent, but in the "field" of the roof. I called the roofer and he's coming out on Wednesday, but I would like to be more educated before I start talking to him. My knowledge of roofs is limited to watching Norm on This Old House, but I thought that one rows nails are supposed to be covered by the next row and so on. BTW, this was an entire tearoff not an additional layer. They also replaced 19 sheets of plywood because the previous owners had really let the roof go. The roof has a 1 year warranty on workmanship so what should I be expecting and asking for when this guy comes out?

Old 11-17-03, 10:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Exclamation Roof

About the only time you should see a nail on a roof is on the bottom side of any jacks Then covered up with black roof cement.
Or thats how we do it ED

Old 11-17-03, 11:51 AM
hexnemisis
Visiting Guest
not acceptable

There should be no nails showing in the field what so ever, I would tell them to replace the shingles with the nails showing, roofing cement is not an acceptable look on a new roof.

Old 11-17-03, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'd agree this is not acceptable workmanship from a professional. I'd agree that the shingles with exposed nails should be replaced at the least.

Old 11-18-03, 09:32 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Exposed roofing nails "shiners" can sometimes happen especially with gun nailed roofing. While this is bad it's not the end of the world. Since we hand nail we have almost no Shiners but in the case of shiner it is common to seal over the entire head of the nail with elastometric caulk(not cement), as you would in the case of a flashing nail or vent nail.

I would be very upset if I were you, but it's not the end of the world. Does the roof leak?

Send a letter to the company. If they are legit they might fix it for you. Mistakes happen to the best of us. I always say "A good contractor is one that doesnt ignore their problems."

Since this is the "do it yourself forums" I recommend finding some good quality caulk mathcing in color of your roof. Climb up on the roof, only if it is safe and you are comfortable, then caulk over the nails. These nails are potential leaks.

Also read your warranty, some comapnies void their warranty for foot traffic. This means don't tell your roofer you were on "their" roof.

Old 11-19-03, 06:05 AM
kwebster
Visiting Guest
That's a pretty squirrelly clause to add to a warranty. "We stand behind our work provided you don't get close enough to actually look at it" Homeowners have legit maintenance to perform on their houses that require getting on the roof. We just had our chimney repointed and a new cap installed. The chimney guy HAD to get on the roof to inspect and repair it. Taking good care of your home should not mean voiding the warranty on a roof you just spent thousands of dollars to install. Just my opinion.

Old 11-19-03, 06:12 AM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
I once saw a warranty that stated "This warranty is void if anyone, including the original contractor, walks on the roof for any reason."

Our warranties state "...warranty void for improper maintenance or excessive foot traffic."

I am not going to warrant a roof that is used by the owners son to sneak out of the house nightly. Or a roof that is used as a deck and the owner has parties every week end.

The point is those clauses DO exist.

Old 11-19-03, 07:48 AM
P
We usually advise homeowners who are checking on contractor credentials, to also request written copies of the labour and material warranties and to review these even more carefully than the contract language. Of course, the best warranty on paper is worth nothing if the company is no longer in business, so getting a sense of the longevity of the company is also a good idea.

Old 11-19-03, 08:51 AM
kwebster
Visiting Guest
Smile

Just to follow up.... Roofer came out and agreed that all the effected shingles should be replaced. He is going to "write up" the crew that worked on the roof and get it repaired as soon as possible. He seemed eager to satisfy us and we were quite pleased with his response. Thanks to everyone for the info. you guys are great.

Old 11-19-03, 01:09 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Congrats on your success. He sounds legitimate.

Pgriz, I told ya we frequent too many forums.

Old 11-19-03, 02:27 PM
P
Hi Grumpy,

Just thought I'd track your trail for a while. After all, it's tough work breaking trail!
Regards,

pgriz

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: