How to seal leaky spot on the roof

Old 11-18-03, 09:47 AM
bguy
Visiting Guest
How to seal leaky spot on the roof

Hi,

The lower part of my roof is connected to the side wall (stucco) of the balcony on the upper floor through a piece of "L" shape metal. When it rains, water is getting in from the small gap between the "L" shape metal & the side wall. Can anyone advise what I should use to seal the gap, or is there a better way for me to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ben

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-03, 10:23 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Ewww roof to wall can be tricky. ESPECIALLY with stucco.

Do you have a digital camera? If so take a pic and send it to me.

If not this is what I can guesstimate we would do to fix your problem.

We would knock off about 4" of the bottom of the stucco and at least 1' or more of roofing. We would install Ice shield on the entire exposed area of the roof and wall. We would install the necessary flashig and re-install new shingles. We would then patch your stucco where we chipped it.

Ok this is a permanent solution, a quick fix would be roof tar. This is very messy but seems to be the kind of "cure all" home owners use for leaks.

If you can post/send a pic of the problem area and I can better advise.

Old 11-19-03, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it were mine I'd do what Grumpy suggested with the ice shield, that would be a permanent fix.

Old 11-19-03, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We've recently did a re-roof on a house with extensive stucco. Basically, similar solution to Grumpy: removed 4" of stucco off the wall along the roofline, removed the step flashing, placed Ice and water shield membrane on the roof and running up the wall, installed an L-shaped endwall flashing running up the wall, and counterflashed with an inverted L-shaped counterflashing. Appropriate caulking in all the usual places. In our neck of the woods, we get extensive snow cover over winter (up to a foot or more snow sitting on the roof), so water infiltration is common if the flashing work is not properly done.