Concrete Tile installed without felt paper?

Old 11-18-03, 02:52 PM
cwmoss
Visiting Guest
Concrete Tile installed without felt paper?

Hi all,
I'm new here but have been searching for some answers pertaining to a home I'm looking to buy. It's a beautiful home, my wife loves it and there is nothing comparable in the area. But the problem is when I had it inspected the inspector noted that there is no felt paper (vapor barrier) under the tile.

He told me that it was an installation method that was tried a few years ago and was found to have some drawbacks so they reverted to using the felt again. The drawback he says is that if the roof fails the felt isn't there to take the rain water down to the gutter. When I asked my Realtor (the deceptive, money hungry, snake), mister personality tells me that a lot of fine homes were built this way in his very own neighborhood and everyone is happy, smiling and have had no problems.
So, I would like to know if anyone knows anything about this? If there is anywhere I can read about it? And if your wife found the house of her dreams in this condition, would you let her buy it?
The roof is the half elliptical concrete tile type, the house is 21 years old and is in Stockton, California (where I think it rain very little.

The roof aslo has skip sheathing which I hear is not too good.

Thanks a lot for the help,
Marc

www.thehomeinspector.com/MMMPromo/MMMPromo.html+%22Concrete+Tile%22+installed+%22without+felt%22+paper&hl=en&ie=UTF-8]Link to inspectors forum discussing roofs like this[/URL]

Old 11-18-03, 09:16 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
I'm no expert on concrete tile but I can help! The best thing to do is ask the building dept if that is code. I don't think it is. I know for almost al types of roofing, especially sloped, you need some kind of underlayment.

What area are you in?

Consider seeking estimates for replacement of the roof and spliting the cost with the seller.

http://www.sandtoft.co.uk/concrete/index.html

http://www.marleyroofing.co.uk/searc...=concrete+tile

http://www.russell-rooftiles.co.uk/p...Comparison.asp

Those are some links that should further aid your quest for knowledge.

Old 11-18-03, 10:44 PM
cwmoss
Visiting Guest
Thanks Grumpy
My Realtor seems to think its fine and a contractor I talked to seems to think it's all right also. I've been told that it's a 50 year roof so it has 30 years to go. The only time the lack of felt could become an issue is if a tile is broken or something, in which case I'd have to get up there with tarps real quick.

I have been told that it was code for a short time and I will check with the building Dept. and see if they have heard of any trouble with such roofs. I'm going to call a roofing contractor to inspect it and give me an appraisal and an estimate to replace the roof but I think replacement may be overkill.

After thinking more about it today I'm starting to feel a little better about it and may go ahead and buy the place. If you can cut and paste this long link you'll find the only discussion on the matter.

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache...n&ie=UTF-8</a>

Thanks for your help sir
Marc

Old 11-19-03, 06:08 AM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Don't trust your realtor. He's not a contractor. He wants his commission. Ask him to see those smiling faces and houses in his neighborhood and watch his face go blank.

If it is accepted in your area as a standard for building then there is nothing wrong with it. Definetly check with the building dept. It seems like you are getting many opinions, but only theirs counts.

Also the roofer you ask to check it out might claim it needs a new roof weather it does or doesn't.

Before you put in a bid contact the building dept. That's my advice.

Old 11-19-03, 01:01 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Be very, very careful. Cement products are not waterproof. Water travels through them slowly, but it travels. If the rain is intermittent enough the cement will dry out before the water manages to travel all the way the through and the inside will remain dry. If the rain is frequent enough and lasts long enough without a drying time the water will make its way through the cement. Wood is not allowed in contact with masonry products for a reason.

Old 11-19-03, 01:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb tile roof

Its all in the code Where you are. Here 30 lb felt nailed 12" on center with ring nails. Then 90 lb moped on then the tile. Starter row has to have went holes HA .Thatsjust to let the water out that got through the tile. ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: