assuming this is a roof question???

Old 11-18-03, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
assuming this is a roof question???

i have a kitchen range hood vented throught the roof of a one story brick rancher (old 60's style single level rancher with a normal pitch (nothing steep)...

the hood vents through a 7" diameter metal duct straight through the ceiling into the attic and through the roof...

we have had a lot of rain and have noticed a leak running down the metal duct on the outside of the duct through the cabinets above the cooktop and into the range hood...also, it is running down the electrical wire...

i am assuming the leak is around the roof where the vent on the roof is located...what are some things i need to know in order replace or repair the problem...i can't afford anymore leaking...

we are planning on replacing the 30 year old hood, but what about the duct and vent on the roof???

how-tos would be nice...how do i prevent leaking??? etc...

thanks...michael

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-03, 10:10 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
First off make sure you have a "kitchen vent" and that all the shingles around the vent are properly installed and in good condition.

Kitchen vents are fiarly cheap. I've seen vents installed and improperly installed. If it is properly installed there will be shingles ontop of 3 sides of the vent.

Is there a wall anywhere near your vent? Sometimes water comes in at other locations and finds its way into the interior of the house around the vent because water picks the path of least resistance.

In Chicago, split level houses are common, it seems that all the kitchen vents are put about a foot from the wall in a shaded area, and all these types of houses have cronic leaking around the kitchen vents until Ice shield is installed under the shingles.