plywood for the roof

Old 11-19-03, 11:08 AM
mnnhk5
Visiting Guest
plywood for the roof

What is the best and the right way to repair an existing hole (around 3 inches hole) in the plywood for the roof without removing the roofing materials (i.e. the shingles and the black sheet of pager)?

Old 11-19-03, 11:40 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would set a piece larger than the hole on the inside with a filler piece to match the hole attached to it. Screw or liquid nails in place. Then take a scrap of roofing felt and work it under the shingles. Insert a new shingle(s) to replace the one with a hole in it.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-19-03, 12:56 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
If it is just a hole in the decking and the shingles are intact, leave it alone. Only someone walking on the roof or a big piece of hail will punch through the shingles. If you are really worried, use a hole saw to cut a patch of matching thickness and screw a larger piece on the inside to hold it. Use 3/4 inch round head screws with 1/2 inch patch and 1/2 inch decking. You can easily do more damage to the shingles trying to attach this than just leaving it alone.

Old 11-19-03, 01:08 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Does the shingle have a hole too or just the wood? I mean did a squirrel chew through your roof or did the roofers install a roof over a piece of plywood with a hole cut in it?

Here is how I would fix your hole. This may or may not answer your question.

I would tear off a small area of roofing, from rafter to rafter.
I would cut out a rectangle section of the plywood from rafter to rafter.
I would cust a new piece of plywood the same size as the piece I removed.
I would install felt paper of Ice shield on the new plywood, tucked under the existing felt, on the top but overlapping the felt on the bottom.
I would install new shingles over the felt, tucked under the shingle above and overlapping the shingle below.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: