Cracked Spanish (S) Tile on Roof - Mortar?

Old 11-21-03, 02:15 PM
r2r2d2
Visiting Guest
Cracked Spanish (S) Tile on Roof - Mortar?

Hi All!

We have a pretty flat, slightly pitched for drainage, asphalt tile roof with a small built up wall around it. On the other side of the wall, the eaves have a decorative Spanish S type tile. Some of the tiles are cracked and allowing water to get underneath - have had a leakage problem because of this. Rest of the roof is in great shape. This is a 1920's house and the S tiles we have are apparently no longer available so replacing just the few cracked ones would be difficult. Over the years someone has applied mortar to patch earlier cracks. Is this a good fix? If so, what kind of mortar do you recommend we use - brick mortar, roofing cement...

Really appreciate your site and refer to it often for info for our fixer upper. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 11-21-03, 02:41 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
The tiles do not really provide the protection from rain. Under them is a layer of felt. It is probably time to have the tiles removed, the felt replaced, and the tiles re-installed. I would consider sing epoxy (Abocrete is one vendor) to fix the broken tiles.
Even slate roofs get a stripping and re-felting after enough time.

Old 11-21-03, 02:55 PM
r2r2d2
Visiting Guest
brickeyee,
Thanks for the epoxy and vendor suggestion...you are probably right, new felt and relay the existing tiles (or new ones since we can't find replacements). The rest of the roof is only 3 years old - actually composite, and seems to be just fine.

We just finished replacing the main hillside sewer line (cracked 1920's clay pipe) not to mention the rotted subflooring, old cloth covered wiring, etc, etc, etc. Luckily my husband and I have the right tools and are pretty handy...Looking forward to the day when I can stop fixing and actually decorate something. Such is the case with finding affordable real estate in the So. CA market! : )

Thanks again!

Old 11-22-03, 09:58 AM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
If you are considering striping the roof off, consider Ice shield instead of felt. Slightly higher cost but easier for a DYI'er to install and more effective at water proofing.

You may be able to find a distributor in your area for salvaged tiles.

There are a few in our area that sell nothing but old tiles. When ever we are trying to match, we take an old tile with us to their warehouse and they usually have a good match.

Also you said the other part of your roof is asphalt shingles on an almost flat roof. Your exact words were "just a slight pitch for drainage". This isn't good. Shingles should be installed on flat roofs.

Old 11-23-03, 07:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think what Grumpy meant is that shingles should NOT be installed on a flat roof. In this part of the country, where we have ample rain & snow, you wouldn't want them on anything less than a 3/12 pitched roof. However in suny and mostly dry So. Calif, they may have different practices, however if you check with the makers of asphalt shingles, they'll tell you not to install their shingle products on a flat roof.

Lot of other material choices that are better suited for such applications.

Old 11-23-03, 03:30 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Good point Awesome. I think like a Chicago contractor. It's hard to remember that everyone doesn't live in my climate

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: