T-111 Siding question

Old 11-24-03, 03:14 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
T-111 Siding question

This is the third time that I'm attempting to submit this question. I don't see that the other two have loaded, so I'm trying again. I'm sorry if it's another repeat.

How do you recommend joining/finishing T-111 siding that is going on a 9 1/2 ft wall?

Thank you for your help,

~Marcia

Old 11-24-03, 03:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

There are plastic z-flashing strips that are made to go under the top piece edge and over the lower full sheet edge of T 1-11 plywood siding.
T 1-11 also comes pressure-treated, which I highly recommend. It's about $30 bucks per sheet, but more than worth it for longevity. Depending upon where you are, you may have to order it, but it's easy to come by around here.
You can stain it or paint it just like untreated T 1-11, or just let it weather a natural gray.
Good Luck!

Old 11-24-03, 05:09 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your help. This site is the best!

~Marcia

Old 11-24-03, 06:41 PM
If your weather is wet enough to warrant pressue treated T111 I'd go with Hardie (fiber cement) siding. When I was in Houston T111 had a life expectancy of less than 8 years due to the high humidity. Now that I live in a low humidity area I still use the Hardie, it will last "forever" and installs just like T111

Frank

Old 11-24-03, 09:35 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
You may also consdier factory finished siding... which somes with a 15 year color warranty in our area (Chicago)

I did a cost analysis. If you buy the factory finished siding, cedar pine & fibercement, it costs less than hiring a painter AND comes with the warranty, that no painter will give you.

Old guy was right about the flashing. We usually custom bend ours, but I have seen them pre bent.

Old 11-25-03, 04:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Frank is right. Hardi-Plank fiber cement siding has a 50-year limited warranty, and will outlast most pressure-treated siding.
Pressure-treated wood products come with a 50-year limited warranty ONLY if treated and tested to AWPB standards. The American Wood Preserver's Bureau stamp should be on all pressure-treated wood products that you buy.
Name-brand wood treating companies (Weyerhaeuser, etc.) will have the AWPB stamp, but there are a lot of "dippers-and-shippers" in the wood treating business. Just because it's green doesn't mean that it has been properly pressure-treated.
I made the mistake of buying off-brand non-AWPB "pressure-treated" material to build three decks on our home many years ago. Within five years, half of it was as rotted as if it were never treated. It all looked the same.
I had to rip all three decks off, and build new ones.
Some Hardi-Plank siding has a "natural wood grain" surface that looks like real wood siding and comes pre-primed and ready for painting.I don't know what the cost-per-square-foot comparisons are, but that's definitely worth looking into, also.
Good Luck!

Old 11-25-03, 08:09 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Thank you for all the advice. It looks like there are some great options out there.

The siding is to go on an add-on. (The existing is painted, although now I wish it wasn't.) I like the natural/stained, rustic look rather than the paint, but that's history unless we replace the existing. Right?

Any thoughts about adding the 'new' to the 'old?

By the way, we are in south central IN, which means high humidity and plenty of rain. I've seen what it has done to some of our existing siding.

Can I expect to have to clean the bottom of the siding with bleach periodically due to the green stuff that grows in some areas? (Mildew? Moss?) That's how it is with what we have now.

Thanks again,
~Marcia

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: