Roofing--Year Round?

Old 11-29-03, 01:31 PM
BA-35
Visiting Guest
Roofing--Year Round?

Hello,

I'm having my roof professionally replaced, and I was a little surprised when the roofers called me and said they would start the week of January 5th. I live in central Ohio where snow and cold weather are the norm in January. My question is...can they really roof all year round? If it's snowing when they work, won't moisture be trapped between the wood and the shingles. I'm not sure if it's OK, or should I ask them to reschedule.

Also, it's not as though there is a leak or any other reason that the roof has to be replaced ASAP.

Thanks

Old 11-29-03, 09:42 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Depending upon manufacturer, shingles can be installed at 32 degrees or higher. What kind of shingles?

If the job is a tear off and there is snow on the roof, the snow can be removed with the shingles. Make sure they DO NOT install shingles ontop of a wet roof, or roof deck!

A reputable sane roofer won't want to be on a roof when it is snowing. Its very easy to slip, fall and die.

If you are uncomfortable ask them to reschedule.

Old 12-01-03, 02:41 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grumpy, how do you get around the fact that most manufacturers don't warrant their shingles if they have not sealed properly? Since it takes temperatures of at least 90 degrees for the tar strip to melt and seal, any shingling done in cold weather may not seal until the following spring. Or do you know a way around that?

Old 12-01-03, 03:32 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
I've seen guys torch shingles! WTF?!

Seriously though, it's been my experience that a few consistent days of 40 degree weather will set the shingles well enough.

The shingles can still be lifted but require a tad bit of effort.

How do I get around the fact that manufacturers blah blah blah? As far as I am concerned there is no manufacturer warranty. No matter what the problem the manufacturer will blame the installer. No home owner calls the manufacturer when their roof leaks, they call the installer... so my answer is I try to meet or exceed national standards set by trade groups. I will admit I alter those standards to my own life's experiences.

Old 12-01-03, 07:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well here we go again. You make the decision on wheather to start or wait until spring. Now we roof all year around, and not in the sunny south. We have 8 roofs lined up ready to go. Yes it is cold. We did two very large new hotels last year in 20 below temps. No we do not do it in the snow. No our roofs do not get wet. Yes they seal. It just depends on the shingles. Cheap shingles no, good shingles $45 and above a square yes. We give a written installer warranty of 4 years. There have been times when we torched the shingles. There have been times when we pre-heated the shingles. Just a few notes from me.

Old 12-02-03, 07:33 AM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Preheating the shingles works. If you can keep them inside a heated faciality for a day or two with degrees above 50 the shingles will seal easier.

While I understand most manufacturers say don't install below freezing, I never would.

We try to line up torch down modified bitumen roofs for the winter. These are nice and can be done all year long depending on moisture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: