Wanting to be proactive with roof repairs

Old 11-30-03, 02:03 PM
LycanR
Visiting Guest
Wanting to be proactive with roof repairs

Howdy all! I was up on my roof today cleaning the gutters (that went very well). I notice that I had quite a bit of 'roof grit' inside my gutters. Is that normal? While I was up there I also got to looking at my shingles and they all appear to be in pretty good shape. There were a few that were curled just a bit at the edges but besides that I didn't notice anything that was really wrong. My question is: What are some of the things to look for when viewing the roof. And, what kind of yearly maintence (if any) should I be doing to the roof to get the longest life out of it. My roof is composition shingles (by the way). Any advice is helpful!

Chuck

Old 11-30-03, 02:43 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
granuals from the shingles will fall into the gutters. This is normal for a new or old roof. When you stop seeing them in the gutters it's time to think, beause that means it's time for a new roof.

You can determine if the gravel loss is excessive by inspecting the shingles. Can you look closely at the shingles and see the matting below the granuals? If you can this means your shingles are not protected by the sun's UV and are more prone ot further damage.

Curling shingles usually means heat damage or improper venilation. This is more common with a purely asphalt shingle. Almost all shingle now-a-days are fiberglass reinforced asphlat. They resist curling much better than a puer asphalt shingle. (But ventilation is still KEY!)

How old is the roof? How steep is the roof?

GAF has a nice video for home owners. You can order a DVD or view it online at http://www.gaf.com/General/Freevideo...&App=FREE&Uid=

As far as maintenance goes, clean your gutters AT LEAST twice a year. Replace shingles that show signs of damage (curling). Inspect ventilation. Make sure you have enough, and make sure it is not blocked.

Old 11-30-03, 03:45 PM
LycanR
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response. The age of my roof is not known, however, my home inspector said that I could expect another 8 to 10 years out of it. I should mention that when I said I saw curling of the shingles it was extremely slight, almost not noticable. As for the pitch of my roof...I don't know. I'd guess it to be 25 to 30 degrees. And as for the vents, I have 2 attic vents on the sides of the house. It's a 50 year old, boring rectangle house (if you know what I mean), about 1100 sq feet.

Chuck

Old 12-01-03, 01:50 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's very rare for the roof to fail at the shingles. The usual failure points are valleys, chimney flashings, endwalls, roof openings (vents, plumbing stacks, skylights), and at the eaves if you are in an area cold enough to get ice damming. Best way of seeing if your roof still works is to periodically check from inside the attic. You want to inspect the wood underneath the valleys, at the end-walls, around chimneys, and around roof openings. If none of those areas are showing any leakage or other problem, then the roof is working fine. I've been on roofs which look brand-new and leak badly, and roofs which look as if they have been roto-tilled, and not let a drop of water in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: