A new roof that is leaking

Old 11-30-03, 10:18 PM
jiggy
Visiting Guest
A new roof that is leaking

I recently shingled my roof, I used to roof during the summer so I know how to do it they right way. The other day I ran into what look liked a peice of rotting ceiling. it is about 2 inches long and 2 inches wide. Any ideas of how to address this problem, besides reshingling the entire roof?

Thanks,

Old 12-01-03, 04:31 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The first step would be to locate the cause of the damage. If it is water, locate the entry point. No reason to reshingle the roof, if it is just a hip leaking.

Old 12-01-03, 09:13 AM
jiggy
Visiting Guest
My guess just by the look is that it is leaking where an exhaust fan is. What steps do I need to do to repair this kind of link.

Thanks

Old 12-01-03, 12:11 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Mark the area of ceiling with a pencil so you know if and when it grows.

Get in your attic and find where the water is originating. This can be done by looking for darker wood. You will be able to follow a trail on the farming or under side of the roof decking.

Is the leak anywhere near a valley or flashing? These are the most common areas for leakage to occus.

Inspect the roof for lifted shingles or animal holes. Wind driven rain will make it's way into lifted shingles, and animal holes need no explination.

Since you think it's coming from the fan, what you need to do is from the outside. Make sure the flange of the fan is tucked under shingles on 3 sides excluding the bottom. Some guys put roof tar under the flange before installing the fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: