replacing aluminum gutter

Old 12-01-03, 08:33 AM
mgazer
Visiting Guest
replacing aluminum gutter

I have an old gutter (approx. 24 feet long) that I need to replace and had a question re: the holes that will be exposed in the fascia. The gutter is currently held up using spike/ferrules and when I install the new gutter, I will probable use a better hanging system. When I remove all of the spikes, there will be numerous holes in the flashing/fascia that I need to plug.

Can I simply use caulk to fill these holes and install the new brackets in new spots?

Also, what would I use to cut the pieces of alum. gutter to fit? Tin snips or a hacksaw??

Thanks,
MG

Old 12-01-03, 12:24 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
If you are replacing the gutter, this means you should also replace the flashing. If you replace the gutter and flashing the holes in the fascia will be hidden and won't need any attention with caulk etc...

Use "strap hangers" aka brackets to hang your gutters. They hook under the front lip of a standard ogee style gutter (ogee is the standard gutter in the Chicago area). You then nail through the back of the bracket, through the flashing and back of the gutter, and into the fascia board. Use a screw shank nail, that turns when you hammer it in. You may also want to use screws. Either way use galvanized.

Make sure the new gutter is pitched properly. This can be done with a standard carpenters level.

Old 12-03-03, 10:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb Gutters

Just cut the gutter with tin snips. You want to cut the gutter with the piece you are going to use is on your right. This way as you cut, the piece on your left you can like just roll it up or bend it out of the way and the gutter on your right will stay almost as it was. 24 FT Id put it together on the ground and then put it up. If you have a way to get it home that long Go to a gutter shop and they would make it in one piece for you ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: