supplies needed for reroofing

Old 12-02-03, 10:54 PM
dlpatron1
Visiting Guest
Question switching shake roof to shingle HELP!

what supplies or material needed for reroofing from wooden shake to sningle any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by dlpatron1; 12-03-03 at 03:08 AM.
Old 12-03-03, 06:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
1. Lots of extra laborers
2. A HUGE dumpster, laying flat they don't look like much, start dumping them off the roof and they're HUGE.
3. Big flat shovels for lifting and removing shakes, also some rakes.
4. Tarps for covering work in progress.
5. Enought 1/2" CDX plywood for decking, also 15# felt paper, new (I prefer "dimensional") shingles, roof jacks, drip edge, flashing and nails.
6. Hammers, pry bars, 4" putty knives, several utitlity knives, some with straight blades, some with hook blades, tape measures, framing squares.
7. When removing the shakes be careful not to remove the "purlins", 1 X 4 strips that run between the rafters. They are generally structural and removing them may cause your roof framing to "wrack" out of square.

Ask your roofing distributor for a booklet titled "Residential Asphalt Roofing Manual", and read and re-read the part on applying new roofs. Particularly the parts on starter courses, valleys, and other "edges". Over 1/2 of the people I see putting on roofs (and this includes "professionals") do the starter course WRONG.

Laying the field shingles is just time consuming, mind numbing work, laying the "edge" shingles is time consuming, mind stretching, meticulous work but that's where 90% of roofing problems occur.

Make sure anyone who's going to be on the roof understands safety procedures and also the PROPER WAY TO WALK ON A ROOF. I've seen people on roofs who when someone calls their name, will pivot on the balls of their feet, thereby removing the granules from the are they were standing on, and turning a 25 year roof into a 25 month roof on that 20 square inches or so.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Frank

Old 12-03-03, 06:31 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Alot of companies will felt & shingle right over a shake roof, & I guess that's ok, but IMO, best thing is to remove the shakes, install sheeting and then felt (30# is my choice, and then shingles.

Honestly tho, I haven't done a shingle roof in 5-6 yrs, I've been exclusively doing metal roofs for these past few yrs. We use the ribbed metal sheeting, called pro-panel in this part of the country. Faster to install & will definitely outlast a shingled roof. And can be installed directly over shakes, shingles, or roll roofing. I've roofed something like 30 or so roof of this type, never had a call back for a leak and can be installed regardless of weather.

Old 12-03-03, 05:47 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Dell, that's very interesting about the metal roofs. When you say "ribbed" are you referring to the wavy, corrugated look? I particularly like the standing seam metal roofs and they're pretty popular down here, but pretty pricey too! I've never installed one because the only roofs I've done the past 4 years have been on lower end of the market houses and they wouldn't have supported the expenditure of that kind of dough.

Let me know buddy.

Frank

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: