Metal Roof?

Old 12-03-03, 12:44 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Metal Roof?

Hi I have a Hip roof (I think) that is in need of repair. I have always been impressed with the way a metal roof lasts. I would like to have the roof done next summer so I'm looking into things now. The roof has what I think are called Boston Gutters. Right now the roof has rolled roffing on it. Once a year I have to go up and put roof coating on the edges where these Boston Gutters are so things don't leak. The edges of the roof are flat or maybe even turned up a bit and the water leaves the roof through drains that actually go through the roof. So the water doesn't run of the edge of the roof but though these drains. Also the chimney is right in the center of the roof. Like I said the roof is shaped basically like a piramid ( Hip roof?)with maybe a pitch of 10" per foot. Do you think a metal roof would work well for this application? Should I get rid of the Boston Gutters and just pitch the roof al the way out to the edge? Is this some you think the average handy man can do or should I get a professional roofer? If you think this is a do it yourselfer can anyone recommend a book that may shed a little extra light on doing metal roofs? Thanks in advance for your advice...Tim

Old 12-04-03, 10:15 AM
Lightbulb Roof

To rework the roof a DIY yes . Take the in set gutters out for sure if you dont want to go for the old look.New metal roof a DIY -NO NO -NO. Would a new metal roof work here For sure.

Boston gutter??? have always heard them called yankee gutters

ED

Old 12-04-03, 01:02 PM
T
Thanks Ed Imeduc. I had a feeling the metal roof may be out of my league....Tim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: