Shingle Differences

Old 12-05-03, 12:26 PM
rthompson10
Visiting Guest
Shingle Differences

I'm getting quotes from roofers- Any major differences between GAf Timberline 30 year and Owens Corning Oak Ridge Series-30 Year

Old 12-05-03, 04:49 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
I'm a roofer and I am GAF certified. Major differences? the consumer reports should be able to tell you. This is off the top of my head, and I have the report at the office, I think they rated GAF better than Ownes Corning, but Certianteed was best.

The major difference is the color style. All manufactrurers have slightly different shading patterns.

Old 12-06-03, 07:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think Grumpy's about right with Certainteed, GAF, & O/C being rated up there 1,2,3.

Personally I've always had real good luck with Tamko, and I can usually get them for a better price, but I think alot of that has to do with them being made here in Mo.

Old 12-06-03, 10:38 AM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
We used to use certianteed and GAF but then certianteed shut down their factory one summer for two weeks and when they opened it they jacked their prices 15%. Nobody knew why and for that whole year certianteed shingles were almost impossible to get.

We switched to GAF and never looked back. We came across the tamko and tried them because they are a slight bit cheaper but they are a very good shingle so we recommend GAF and Tamko equally!

One thing I forgot to mention... Some shingles cost less, like certianteed is on the high end and owens corning on the lower end. We are only talking a few bucks(literally), but that savings should be passed on to you. No?

Old 12-06-03, 05:41 PM
Unfortunately the Consumer Reports is done locally. They go to one area of the country and test the manufacturer's closest facility. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't look at it. It is a very good report. However, most of the manufacturers have plants throughout the country that never get tested.
I think this year it rated Certainteed the best, the last 2 years it was Tamko, the year before it was someone else.

I, also, use Tamko. Where I live, it is actually a little more expensive, but I've had very few problems with them. I don't happen to get the shingles from the plant that Consumer Reports tests from, which is why I don't follow it.

Most of the major manufacturers have shingles that are good quality. The difference really comes in their service and responsiveness to any problems.

Just my opinion.
Good luck.

Old 12-07-03, 01:28 AM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Delerious your absolutely correct. All the shingles are 30 year waranty with 255 Lbs per square and 70 MPH wind. Any roofer knows none of these shingles will last 30 years because houses will be torn down, home owners will be bored of the roof, the house will be sold and new owners want to change color, the roof looks old but is still in good shape etc...

Home owners don't know much abotu responsiveness and service from manufacturers, heck even most roofers don;t know this because their suppliers buy the shingles from the manufacturers and the roofers nor home owners have any direct contact with the manufacturer.

My advice, once again, base your decision on preference to the style and design in the shingle. ALSO!!! ask both roofers to bid both shingles. This way you can compare apples to apples.

Old 12-07-03, 01:24 PM
We put on all of those brands of shingles. They are all good. Basically just color differences. What I would do is get your estimates for labor only. That way you take the pressure off the contractor. Then when you choose one, you just have them get the materials also and have them just give you the receipt and you pay for the materials immediately. Or you go with him to get the materials and you pay for them. You have to pay for them anyway. Good Luck

Old 12-07-03, 08:19 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Some contractors won't work labor only except for general contractors. I am one. If someone asks a price for labor only I always charge extra money!

Old 12-11-03, 03:00 AM
ahh your just grumpy lol

Old 12-11-03, 05:07 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Hah! YOu wouldn't believe how high strung I actually am.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: