rolled roofing

Old 12-06-03, 12:46 PM
monroviageorge
Visiting Guest
rolled roofing

I would like to know if I should wait for warmer weather, I live in California, to replace this roof myself. The reason I ask is when I purchased the materials they mentioned that it would be best to work at warmer tempratures. I suspect the rolls of asphalt roofing would be easier to work with as well as the cement.
Also after I put down the new base sheet, cover with thin coat of cold AP roofing cement, roll out the roofing, can I use the cement to seal the roofing seams. And what would you suggest to apply the cement, other then the brush and sqeegee that is recommended on the can.
Thanks
Monrovia George

Old 12-07-03, 12:37 AM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
What is your current weather? Right now in Chicago it is bouncing from 30's-50's. We are still roofing. Read the manufacturers recomendations for installing the materials. Most say not below freezing.

90 LB. Rolled roofing is intended only for temporary repairs and is too commonly used for permanent roofing solutions. Keep this in mind. The manufacturer won;t even warant this type of material.

If you choose to use the 90 Lb rolled roofing anyways, yes you can use the cement to seal the seams. I think the overlap should be a min of 6" but again check the manuf recomendations. Depending upon what type of roof cement you buy, trowel grade or brush grade, will determine how to apply the cement. I would recommnd trowel grade for the seams. Use a trowel to apply the cement, but NAIL THE MATERIAL DOWN FIRST.

The nails should be fastened where the roll will over lap. You should NEVER see a nail on a roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: