water running behind the gutter

Old 12-09-03, 12:55 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water running behind the gutter

I have a new roof, soffit, facia, and gutters. Ever since my new soffit/facia/gutters were put on, I get water dripping behind the gutter. It gets real annoying in the winter especially when ice forms. The soffit has a break line as if this is a normal condition??? Is this normal, can this be fixed, what can I do with it? The contractor who put up the gutters was a real piece of work, I guess I shouldn't be surprised! I should have done it myself......work just gets in the way! Any suggestions?

Old 12-09-03, 05:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
When you gave the list of new things you had done my first thought was that NO gutter apron was put on by the roofer. Is this the case. All roofs should have gutter apron. No gutter apron is a roofer mistake. Now if there is gutter apron, look to see if the new gutter is behind the gutter apron. If it is not, then it is a gutter installer problem. Look at where it is leaking and try to indentify the problem. If there is a break in the soffit, it means that the soffit has come unsnapped. Just slide one inside the slot and push together. Your soffits should not move since they should all be nailed in place. Good Luck

Old 12-09-03, 07:04 PM
L
Jack, you raise a good question..... The roof was put on a year or so before the soffit and fascia. I will have to look closer now that you have told me how it is supposed to work (I am by no means a roofer!) We have this problem not everywhere, just in a few spots. We did have a real hard freeze after the gutters and fascia were installed, and maybe the gutter is leaning out a slight bit. Maybe it pulled out from under the gutter apron in those spots??? Thanks for the info, I'll look closer.

Old 12-10-03, 05:04 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
gutter apron/flashing is a must.

Old 01-01-04, 09:01 AM
L
Angry

We got a nice day and I got up there to look, the scumbag contractor did not install a gutter apron! If I lift a shingle I see wood! I'll have to contact him and see what happens, all dealings with him so far have been horrible, I will expect the same!

Old 01-01-04, 03:39 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
He will need to remove brackets and then install flashing and reinstall brackets. Was this part of the contract? All my contracts for gutters specifically have a line that says "install gutter flashing to prevent wood rot." Is it code in your area?

Good luck!

Old 01-02-04, 08:09 AM
L
Grumpy, I believe that it is code here in snowy PA but I'm not sure. I am going to aproach the contractor once again. I feel like I have been hooked and beaten by these people and the war has just begun! They also installed siding, soffit and fascia on my home and I had them remove the siding, retrim the windows, and put the siding up right the second time. It has been a few years since the siding was done and I'm currently looking for my contract. Let me ask you this, if it is code aren't they [I]required[I] to install the gutter moulding?

Old 01-04-04, 10:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb Gutters

You might just see if what the box store's have in a drip edge might work there for you and you can slip it on the fascia and roof to stop it for now. Or a sheet metal shop make a L to fit under the shingle and down in the gutter for you. ED

Old 01-04-04, 11:18 AM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Ed, yes installing flashing is an easy process, but it's a process that he shouldnt have to do as a home owner if he just paid someone to install new gutters.

My advice is to contact the building dept before contacting the contractor. Ask them what the code is, then contact the contractor. If he gives you a hard time you have recourses.

The problem with it not being to code is the building dept doesnt get into whos fault. It't usually your fault/liability in the building dept.s eyes. If it is to code you can take legal action saying it wasnt done to code. You may be able to seek re-imbursement for the cost of having another reputable contractor install the flashing, also you may be able to seek compensation for damaged wood. Contact an attorney if you want to fight this, but contact the contractor first. Maybe he will make it right.

Old 01-04-04, 03:52 PM
L
Angry

I contacted the contractor via Email, he replied that there is no code requirement and I have since found out that he is correct. He is going to have his service manager contact me, probably to try and screw me out of more money! I'll let you know what happens. If nothing else I can launch an birage of Email postings to warn others. I obviously have nothing good to say about te whole experience.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: