Installing Roof Jack on Tile Roof

Old 12-09-03, 10:25 PM
ginmtb
Visiting Guest
Installing Roof Jack on Tile Roof

Hello! I'm new to this forum but have used others to help in my kitchen remodel. I'm hoping someone can help me here.

I installed a new roof jack for my new hood. The roof is curved tile, so I got the lead roof jack as I was told by a roofing supply house. I just want to make sure I installed everything correctly. Here is a diagram of what I did:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/ginmtb/roof_jack.jpg

It rained today and there was a very tiny drip that came down the duct - my diagram may be off in that the duct may be touching the sides of the duct cover. Should the two not touch? I could see if water got inside the duct cover that it could transfer to the duct. Or was it a stray drop of water that just happened to get in? Or is it expected that an occasional drop will get in? Keep in mind my duct is 10" in diameter.

I didn't use any sealers at any of the joints, as I was told not to because of the heat. They must make something that works for higher temps - I have used the high temp 3M flue tape inside - could I use that to help seal between the roof jack and the duct?

My duct is a straight shot - only about 4' long.

Any other info needed?

Thanks for your help!

Mike

Old 12-10-03, 05:03 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Not quite a jack, but more of a jacket I'll reply later after some research. Roof jacks are something totally different from lead jackets.

Old 12-13-03, 01:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb Vent

I have learned over the years That when you have a tile roof or shake one . To run the fan vents to and out the over hang. But like here they dont use and kit vents. All roof jacks and vents have to be doped in on the 90 lb felt before the tile goes on as per code ED

Old 12-13-03, 08:46 PM
ginmtb
Visiting Guest
Sorry, don't understand this line:

"All roof jacks and vents have to be doped in on the 90 lb felt before the tile goes on as per code"

90 lb felt? Doped? Doped as in silicone or roof tar/black jack?

Please elaborate.

Thanks!

Mike

Old 12-14-03, 08:28 AM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Dope is another name for roof tar. Roof tar is also called roof cement.

90# felt is a very heavy underlayment. Ice & Water shield would be preferred as an underlayment.

Old 12-14-03, 09:54 AM
Exclamation jacks

Sorry about that ginmtb : Guess I was just thinking that I was talking to one of the roof guys. Have to spell it out more next time. Here code for a tile roof is 30 lb felt ring nailed 12" center. Then 90 lb mica moped down. All jacks cemented down. then the tile roof can go on
Grumpy said it right ED

Old 12-14-03, 08:34 PM
ginmtb
Visiting Guest
So it appears that I am missing some things per my diagram.

Is that felt ring separate from what is already on the roof?

I guess I'm confused as the old exhaust I took out lacked all of the items you indicated. I basically copied the same setup, just increased size from a smaller diameter exhaust to a larger diameter exhaust.

Perhaps it is time to get a roofer out...

Thanks!

Mike

Old 12-15-03, 06:36 AM
Exclamation Roof

Sorry did it again ginmtb Thats not a persay ring when I said ring nails. When you put the first felt or black paper down . Here you have to nail it down 12 "on center all over and you use a roof nail for this that has a big washer like on it. here thats called a ring nail. ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: