chimney leak

Old 12-20-03, 06:45 AM
mjcomfort
Visiting Guest
chimney leak

I have an old-1856-PA farmhouse with a cedar shake roof. The chimney has a stainless steel liner and a few years ago I had to replace the old furnace. I now have an efficient system 2000. The house was painted last year and within a month the front where the chimney goes up began to turn brown. The chimney is inside the wall. It has been painted before... after the liner was installed and this did not happen. Now I'm getting some damage on the interior.
A roofer came and said it was the chimney flashing. He has been promising to come for 4 months and has not.
I finally called another roofer who said it was caused by the fact that there is a piece of slate above the chimney and the 4 brick supports need to be raised to allow for correct draft. Icicles are forming. He wants to wait until spring. The water damage is increasing and I think it needs to be done now. I know a little about the importance of correct draft because of a propane heater at my barn. I don't know why it didn't happen before.
I could really use some advice. Thanks...MJC
Does anyone know a reliable person in Chester County, PA? If it is the draft it shouldn't take long.

Old 12-20-03, 07:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Exclamation Chimney

Its hard when you cant see the job. Id say it can be from the flashing around the chimney Or the chimney top there where water will work down in the bricks.They call it hydrostatic pressure and the water wil stain the brick on down For now you might call a sheet metal shop there and see if they would make you a rain hood to go on top of your flue there for now this would help keep the snow and rain off the top of the chimney for now. The cement cap there on top of the flue can be bad . Thats why I would try to cover it with a big rain hood for now in the cold. ED

Old 12-20-03, 02:37 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Chimneys are common areas for leaks to occur because there are so many possibilities for the chimney to leak. The mortar holding the brick together can be in bad shape allowing water to access. The chimney cap can have cracks allowing water to penetrate. The chimney liner can be damaged allowing water to penetrate. the chimney flashing can be loose or rusted allowing water to penetrate.

Ed Rain hoods can be bought at pretty much any home depot. No need to be custom made... but that only prevents leakage from chimney liners. If the cap is bad or the mortar on the brick is bad, the hood will do nothing.

Old 12-20-03, 03:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb CHIMNEY

Didnt mean for a flue tile cap from the box store. I Mean have a sheet metal shop make up one that will cover the whole chimney top for now and band it around the whole chimney. Have made lots of them, just to help out till it can be worked on. ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: