interior water damage from roof

Old 01-08-04, 11:42 AM
byteme
Visiting Guest
Unhappy interior water damage from roof

A year ago, bought house with 2 1/2 yr. old roof - of course it leaks! Problem is, husband puttied area where leaks occurred, but it's now 20 below, and water damage caused 12X12 ceiling tiles to fall! Going to drywall, but until spring I don't want to look at a 5x5 foot area left open to old waterstained wallpaper. Is there any form of rubber that I can attach to inside ceiling and wall where leak occured to prevent new drywall from becoming stained or damaged? All information sent GREATLY appreciated.

Old 01-08-04, 12:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Trying to stop a leak from the inside is usually an exercise in futility. Since it's quite a while until spring, I would get a roofer to try to make a temporary repair to the roof for now and a make a permanent repair when the weather allows.

Don't delay - the water coming in will only increase the damage.

Old 01-09-04, 09:24 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb Roof

For now if you get a kinda warm day You could take and try some cold mop cement on the roof there out side for now. To get by till a roofer can work on it ED

Old 01-09-04, 01:26 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with both Dave and Ed - don't try to fix the leak from the inside - it won't work, and you'll get a much bigger mess later on. However, it isn't clear if your husband found the leaks, but the putty didn't work very well, or if perhaps the leaks are somewhere else. We don't know if your roof is flat, lightly sloped or steeply sloped, with an attic space or with cathedral ceiling. The solution for a steep slope roof is very different from that used for flat roofs. Can you give us more information?

Old 01-13-04, 02:52 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
Why put a bandaid on a gun shot? Fix the problem not the symptom.

If you repair the ceiling and the leak is persistant you will repair the ceiling again and again until you fix the leak. If you don't fix the leak, the water will cause further damage to framing, electrical etc...

Old 01-13-04, 02:53 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
To temporarily fix a leak from the outside with very little mess involves a blue roof In roofer talk that means tarping the problem area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: