Rubber roofing

Old 01-10-04, 04:28 PM
chrislinnh
Visiting Guest
Rubber roofing

I want to put up a garage with a 'flat' roof, because I'd like to use the roof as a deck.. I was told my someone at a 'garage company' that if I wanted to do a flat roof I would HAVE TO use rubber roofing which is apparenlty expensive and that there's no gurantee the roof won't leak...

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Why does a flat roof need this rubber roofing and what is this about the lack of guranetee for leaking?

Thank you.

Old 01-10-04, 10:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Using the roof of your new garage for a deck may be a bit more complicated than you think. First thing you'll need to look into is local code to see what is allowable in your area. This link is a good starting place to learn more about that.
http://www.permitplace.com/links/dem...yValues=51,0,0

There are other options besides a rubberized membrane, you can use torch-down, or a build up system with gravel also, but the rubberized is what is normally used in light residential applications. But I'd still want a built up deck that's off the roof, less chance of leaks down the road.

Old 01-11-04, 06:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Awesomdell is correct. Here are a couple more thoughts on the subject. Yes, most use a rubber roof. Yes, it is more expensive, and it is very heavy and will take several people who know what their doing to install it. Now here comes the tricky part. If your putting a deck on top, you cannot screw anything through your roof or it may leak. Rubber roofs usually leak when not installed by a pro. Lots of tricks to it. You might think about going to Plan B. Good Luck

Old 01-11-04, 08:30 AM
chrislinnh
Visiting Guest
Unhappy rubber roof

Thank you for your advice.

Old 01-13-04, 02:44 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
PLEASE NOTE rubber roof would be Modified bitumen and I would install 2 layers, or a single layer with walk pads. If you install EPDM roofing which is also sometimes called a rubber roof you will have leaks the first time you walk on it.

Also be aware that without the walk pads you can scuff a modified bitumen roof which will leave tar on your feet and can be tracked into the house. COnsider the top layer of modified to be granulated modified botumen.

Modified bitumen comes in two types. Torch down (APP) and glue down (SBS). Both are good but APP usually adheres better because it is "Welded" to the roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: