vinyl siding thickness and wood replacement

Old 01-15-04, 03:46 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
vinyl siding thickness and wood replacement

I'll soon be having someone install vinyl siding on the soffits and fascia boards of my home. I've been trying to educate myself on siding somewhat and I was wondering about the difference in siding thickness. I've gotten several estimates and I have some installers offering 5 inch .046 thickness siding, whereas others offer 4" .040 thickness. Is there a drastic difference in quality between these two. I should add I live in the gulf south where temps get as high as 100 degrees and rarely go below 30 degrees. I thought I should add this because I was told that vinyl can become brittle in very cold weather and prone to cracking if hit hard. In addition, I've have some soffit boards that are rotted. The leaks that caused this have been repaired, but do I have to replace this wood and cover with vinyl or can I leave the wood off ?? Thanks

Old 01-15-04, 04:51 PM
I have a couple of questions about your project, but first I will tell you about vinyl. It comes in 3 thickness. .40, .46, .46 or .48 depending on where you live. The thinest is .40. Vinyl does not crack in cold weather like you are probably imagining. Now for my question. You stated you were putting vinyl on your soffit and fascia. I have no idea why you would be doing this, but it is your choice. If it were mine, I would put on metal soffit & fascia. My choice. Now, they do make vinyl soffit and vinyl fascia. Is this what you are really putting up ? Yes, your fascia and soffits are usually wood unless your using metal. Then only your fascia must be wood. Usually a 1x6. You are only covering the wood from exposure to the elements to keep from painting it. If you are prone to 100 degree temps, your vinyl most likely is going to expand and buldge's will most likely appear. You never know about vinyl. Just the nature of the beast. If it does it will probably not be the contractors fault. Good Luck

Old 01-15-04, 05:14 PM
Vinyl is fine for soffit, but vinyl on the facia (gutterboard) would be odd around here. Vinyl is not generally used on plain flat surfaces because of the expansion and contraction of the vinyl. If you nail it tight it will buckle. I wouldn't worry with replacing the wood soffit as long as everything is structurally sound. Be sure they use some perforated vinyl to replace the existing soffit vents...

Old 01-15-04, 05:20 PM
E
vinyl or metal siding

Thanks for the reply Jack. When you referred to metal siding, do you mean aluminum siding ? Because I have not seen or heard anyone local speak of metal siding. Vinyl siding is the predominant product sold here (New Orleans LA).

Old 01-15-04, 05:37 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
0.040 is low grade .046 is considered high grade. The best I have seen is .048. Vinyl siding is available in many grades. .040, .042, .044, .046, .048. www.rollex.com www.alcoa.com www.renolds.com www.certianteed.com The thinner the vinyl the more likley it is to crack at, any temprature, due to blunt force (a basketball hitting the siding, or an snow ball in the winter).

My opinion vinyl fascia is ugly. Consider "custom bent" aluminum. Don't use the off the shelf vinyl or aluminum for the fascia. You can see the difference and it looks shoddy.

Replacing the soffit wood deoends on how far gone it is and how large. If it's 1' from wall to fascia, we usually trim out the rot and leave it as is. The soffit panel is fastened to the fascia board and freeze board anyways. The soffit offers no support on a 1' overhang. If it is 2' or larger then some minor replacing may be required. Note for proper attic ventilation you should ventilate your soffit every 5'-7' This is done with special perforated soffit panels.

Temperature issues: The darker the color of siding the more prone to waprage due to extreme heat. The sunlight will warp vinyl siding. This is why most manufacturers dicontinued dark vinyl.

Old 01-16-04, 07:29 PM
E
soffit width

Thanks one and all for the responses. They've been helpful. My soffits are 2' wide and I asked my installer to be certain to replace the wood. I was told that it's standard practice to do so. In addition, they are using solid vinyl on the soffit with perforated vinyl every 5 or so feet. Many of the homes down here use vinyl siding on the soffit and facia. I believe the biggest problem down here is mold growth on the siding. It does get quite humid down here. Thanks again for all your help.

Old 01-17-04, 06:36 AM
From what your contractor has told you, you will be fine and I think very happy with it. Enjoy my friend. Have a good day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: