Removing algae from concrete tile

Old 01-20-04, 08:31 PM
graham01
Visiting Guest
Removing algae from concrete tile

I need to clean up a roof, concrete tile, that's obviously had many years of general Florida exposure with no cleaning. This is (or was) white concrete tile, now mainly black stains, which I guess is algae, mold and general crud.

Someone suggested pool chlorine sprayed on it, there are also several alternative treatments around that are a little less toxic to both me and the plant life below, someone mentioned TSP also. Anyone have a favorite recipe for this ?

Old 01-22-04, 02:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Simple Green, a brush and a pressure washer? I have used this to clean off the cement slab the grill sets on. It has a tendency to moss and mold from lack of sun exposure.

Simple Green is biodegradable and non toxic, i have used it to clean the black stuff off my spoutings. Spray it on, brush it a bit and pressure wash it off. Make sure the pressure washer nozzle is set to the widest fan setting.

See if Jack or Grump have a reason not to try this on a concrete tile roof though... i dont know of any issues.

Old 01-23-04, 12:30 PM
graham01
Visiting Guest
Thanks a bunch. I will definitely check that one out.

Sorry for delayed reply, but right after I asked the question, my internet connection died and is only just back.

Graham

Old 01-24-04, 01:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I use the pool cholrine thats 10% put it on with a hose and a ortho hose spray set for 8 oz works just fine. Also do my side walks that way to. ED

Old 01-27-04, 07:25 AM
graham01
Visiting Guest
OK Ed - thanks. The hose spray technique is nice to know. I was wondering if that would work and let me stay off an old roof. Chlorine does seem to be our local chemical of choice. I do have a driveway and concrete path to do too.

Graham

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: