flat roof leak to kitchen

Old 01-29-04, 07:14 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
flat roof leak to kitchen

Even though this roof was patched and coated in the summer we were just notified by our tenant that it is leaking in the same spot as before. We've had lots of snow and some sun that may have caused a little thawing. The back of the house (picture attached) is an unheated shed type mudroom connected to the kitchen. They both have the same flat roof.
I'm thinking about shoveling off the snow and either reapplying roof cement or covering the roof with a big blue tarp. Is it too cold for roof cement? Also my guess is that when I clear the roof off there won't be any obvious defects (with my untrained eye) so I'm not real confident that I can fix the problem. Please advise.
Thanks a bunch for any advise.

Old 01-29-04, 10:49 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
trying to attach picture for leak to kitchen

I'm trying to attach the picture. Its in the attach file as a jpg file. I did the same before but when I went to view my post I couldn't find the attachment. Am trying again.

Old 01-30-04, 06:57 AM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
What was it coated with? Not all sealents are intended to water proof and this is a common misconception of many home owners, even some roofer. You have to be very selective in your coatings if your goal is to water proof.

Since it is near the kitchen I can speculate that your soil pipe (plumbing exhaust) may be corroded or rusted through. I have seen this before. It's not common but very possible.

E-mail me the pics if you'd like. grumpydasmurf@yahoo.com

Old 01-30-04, 07:33 AM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
A copy of my reply to your e-mail:

"Silver caoting was the exact stuff I was discussing in my forum post. There are two types of silver coating, fibered and non. WHile the non fibered will seal a little bit the non fibered doesnt seal much at all. Silver coatings primary function is UV and thermal protection.

Too bad you couldn't get me a pic of the roof surface so I can suggest a treatment. Coatings depend on roofing material. Investigate Karnak. They make good roof coatings."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: