2nd layer of shingles

Old 02-06-04, 08:13 AM
WOHAIR
Visiting Guest
Question 2nd layer of shingles

A couple of years ago my insurance company totalled my roof due to hail. I was very surprised because, even now, the roof looks good and the shingles a laying flat. The roof does not leak. But since I have insurance money, I think I better get going and put a new roof on.

I live in Lubbock, Texas where there is not a lot of rain, Winter lows average in the 20's and Summer highs average in the 90's.

There is currently only one layer of shingles and I was considering just laying another layer of high quality shingles.
I want to do the work myself and see this as a more favorable option.

Old 02-06-04, 09:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb Dont do it

Take the old shingles off . Check all the wood there and put new drip edge on . You will come out ahead in the long run ED

Old 02-06-04, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What he said. 2 layers of shingles is a nightmare when you get a leak. Plus it cost more to rip off later.

Old 02-06-04, 03:54 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
It's always better to tear the roof off... but layovers can be done. I know from my point of view I give 10 year labor warranties for tear off roofs, and 5 years for a layover. You do the math.

It won't be the ned of the world if you don;t tear off but you will find most roofers suggest the tear off.

Old 02-06-04, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you do not tear off, and you have another hail damage claim, your insurance company will not pay. Fact of life. They paid you to take it off, so now they hold all the aces. Good Luck

Old 02-06-04, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Although a second layer of shingles is legal in most of the country, I always advise ripping off the old roof.

1. You only roof every 20 yrs, or so. This is the best possible time to check the structure and fix any problems.

2. The integrity of a roof isn't just about the shingles. The decking and roofing paper are also important.

3. Most manufacturer warranties are based on proper decking, paper, etc. Slapping new shingles over old probably voids or limits the warranty.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: