Sunporch Seepage Problem

Old 02-07-04, 07:41 AM
tinkerbelle
Visiting Guest
Sunporch Seepage Problem

I HAVE A SUNRROOM OFF THE BACK OF MY HOUSE- ITS GOT 27 INCH CONCRETE WALLS AT THE BASE WITH SINGLE PAIN WINDOWS ABOVE THE WALLS, AND A CONCRETE FLOOR. THE HOUSE IS ON A CONCRETE SLAB FOUNDATION, SO THERE IS NO DRAINAGE OUT THERE. I ALSO USE THIS AREA FOR STORAGE SINCE I HAVE NO BASEMENT. IN THE LAST SIX MONTHS OR SO WATER HAS BEEN INCREASINGLY SEEPING IN THROUGH THE CONCRETE ONTO THE CARPET AND FLOOR- SOAKING IT ABOUT A FOOT OR 2 INTO THE ROOM- THERE IS ALSO A STRANGE SHAVED ICE LIKE COATING ON THE CONCRETE WALLS- IT IS EXTEMELY DAMP AND THE ROOM IS GETTING A DANK SMELL TO IT. I CALLED A LOCAL WATERPROOFING COMPANY AND HE SUGGESTED A FRENCH DRAIN- WHICH WOULD NOT BE PRATICAL DUE TO THE PLUMBING SETUP IN THIS SLAB HOUSE. IS'NT THERE SOMETHING I COULD DO OUTSIDE OR EVEN AROUND THE BASE OF THE CONCRETE INSIDE TO PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING??- THIS ROOM IS BASICALLY ABOUT 10 INCHES BELOW THE MAIN HOUSE LEVEL, AND SITS AT GROUND LEVEL. ANY SUGGESTIONS?? THANK YOU- TOM

Old 02-07-04, 08:28 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is the concrete wall below grade any? How much slope away from the building is there? Does this happen only when it rains or snows? Are there downspouts in the area of the seepage? Are there visable cracks in the concrete walls? I suspect the water actually enters through the floor slab/wall joint.
Jim

Old 02-07-04, 08:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is there any heat out there at all? That ice on the walls. Thats from the humidity in the room or home cause the walls have no insulation on them. Does the ground slope away from the home ? Is this room closed off from the rest of the home.Have you tried a dehumidifier out there yet? Lots of ifs here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: