leaking roof

Old 02-08-04, 11:02 AM
lynnl
Visiting Guest
leaking roof

it just snowed in the last two days. there is still snow on my roof.
today i noticed a 2 ft long drip mark along the drywall tape on a bedroom ceiling . i went into the attice above & found a perfectly circular drip mark in the insulation about 2ft from the exterior wall & about 2-3ft from the roof peaf vent but no dampness on the roofing boards above. i also found that the exterior wall pressboard at the roof peak was damp & had cracked in the shape of a pie slice. the board below it was dry. i'm female & have no experience with this, but its seems like i may have two problems here.

Old 02-08-04, 08:31 PM
Popeye68
Visiting Guest
Most insurance companies will pay to fix the leak but not the damage. The first thing to do is find the leak. It is not uncommon for the leak to be in one place and run along a rafter or joist untill it decides to come out. Your first problem is the snow sitting on your roof. The heat coming from your house melts the snow that is on the roof. If you can do nothing else till the snow is all gone you might want to get a roof rake and keep the snow from accumilating in this area.

Mark / Armstrong Woodworks

Old 02-11-04, 01:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Put a large pan under it now so no more water gets into the insulation. You said ridge vent if so a lot of them like block the snow are let it in. You could have had a ice dam up there dont know. When it warms up take a water hose up there and see what you find out. if it got the wood that will have to be replaced
ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: