drip edge

Old 02-09-04, 09:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
drip edge

Should the vertical leg of a roof drip edge go into the gutter or behind it? Some areas of our house has it going behind and some has it going into.

Last edited by HotBacon; 02-10-04 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-09-04, 06:00 PM
J
Goes into the gutter.
Jim

Old 02-11-04, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Id get it out from in back of the gutter right now. if its high and dont hit the gutter. Cut a strip of metal slip it under the drip edge and let it go over and go down into the gutter some. ED

Old 02-18-04, 05:15 PM
S
I agree with Ed. My Cape would get water into the interior wall of the home when it rained real hard. Rain would come down the roof, curl around the drip edge (too far from gutter) and come into the wall. I am doing siding and gutters next month and the only way to keep the water from coming in like that was to put up some metal flahing strips under the drip edge and into the gutter. No more problems now. But to me its a patch. New gutter, better caulking and better positioned drip edges will fix it permanently. Peace: e3

Old 03-01-04, 08:19 AM
Spamman...when you slipped the metal flashing behind the drip edge and into the gutter, how did you fasten it? I'm thinking if cut correctly should slip in and stay itself, but wondering if I should slap some caulk behind it or even a few aluminum trim nails.

Old 03-01-04, 10:44 AM
S
Mr. Bacon: A few fairly widely spaced nails should suffice. Again, i did this to get me past the winter and ice melting into the wall issue. I am putting up vinyl siding and new gutters in April and then will look into fixing the actual problem. Some wood needs replacement and then the molding will be wrapped in aluminum and lots of caulking utilized. Good luck: e3

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: