remove moss from roof

Old 02-09-04, 09:02 AM
nicb
Visiting Guest
remove moss from roof

Hi,
Our roof is getting a fair amount of moss growth (we live in Seattle so most houses have moss.) What is the best way to remove it? The roof is also very steep so it would be very difficult to climb to the top.

Old 02-11-04, 12:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I use a water hose and a ortho hose spray.Use pool cholrine thats 10% the other in the store is just 5% set the spray at 8 oz and go at it ED

Old 02-13-04, 10:23 AM
kwick65
Visiting Guest
after you get it removed make sure that you keep any tree branches trimmed well away from the roof, and the next time it is ready for a new roof make sure to use algea resistant shingles. Tamko makes all their shingles this way with no extra cost. Most other companys have them, but for quite a bit more$.

Old 02-17-04, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with both of the previous replies. I would think that algea resistant shingles would be standard in that climate, but certainly a good idea to ask for them when you replace the roof and you can't go wrong with anything made by Tamko IMO, a fine company with quality products & excellent customer service from my experience with them.

If the roof is fairly new, you might want to consider having zinc strips installed.

Old 02-17-04, 09:19 PM
RichDandG
Visiting Guest
While you can use cholrine or bleach to clean shingles, I would not as it will kill any plants and shrubs near the house as it is rinsed off. Use a search engine and search for shingle cleaner, along with many co. in your area that do this service you will find a few sites that offer safe to use chemicles.

Old 04-25-04, 11:26 PM
arnettenu
Visiting Guest
First time user-seeking expertise in removing moss from roof

Has anyone ever tried "Spray & Forget" tm? Sounds almost too good to be true. Says it removeds grn and blk algae, mildew, fungus, etc., ect. Contains no bleach or lye, biodegrade., and won't hurt my landscaping! wow, any comments?

Last edited by arnettenu; 04-25-04 at 11:32 PM. Reason: what's up with the added html code that won't go away? Help out here.
Old 04-26-04, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Let me know if it works. I have not had any kill from useing chlorine the way I said on the grass or schrubs here.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: