Do it yourself roof?

Old 02-15-04, 03:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do it yourself roof?

This spring I need to replace the room of my house. The house is about 920 sq feet upstairs and the roof is the kind that flows down on all 4 sides, ie not gable ends, I am not sure what this is called.

Anyways I am fairly handy as am completely remodeling my basement and have done numerous projects in the past.

What would the difficulty be on a job like this? Should I even consider doing it myself with the help of another laborer (17 year old brother in law, no real experience).

How much of the cost of a roof is labor generally. I live in Winnipeg Manitoba and I got one quote that was I think 2000 - 2500 in Canadian dollars.

Old 02-15-04, 08:25 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
You have a Mansard Roof, which is dificult to work on for some professionals. I would not recommend a DIY job here.

Old 02-16-04, 07:39 AM
hmmm....maybe I missed something in the post, but I'm not sure I see evidence that this is a mansard.

Can you walk on the roof?

It may just be a regular "hip roof".
4 sides......a ridge at the top and 4 hip ridges going down to the eaves.

I guess we need a little more info before any of us could give you better advice.

A picture of the roof would help.

Old 02-16-04, 10:38 AM
The description of a hip ridge sounds right. The roof is not that steep so you could easliy walk on it.
There are also 2 chimneys to work around but that shouldn't be that big a deal.

Old 02-16-04, 12:38 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you got a hip there Id say go for it. If you look at the paper with the shingles it will tell you how to reflash the flue with step shingles. Id for sure check code there to see if you need 15 lb or 30 lb felt and how to nail it. Also see about ice shield if you need it there. Do a full take off so you can check all the wood under it. Dont just put new shingles on top of the old ok. Make sure you have good crickets in back of the chimneys there ED

Old 02-16-04, 12:49 PM
The estimate you got is very fair. I would probably jump on it. Now here is why. You have a small roof. You will need about 12 square, maybe just a little under. A pro roofer will easily do one hip a day, maybe 2 a day. This reduces the amount of time your roof is exposed to the weather. Now you know that where you live, those thunder storms can pop up quick. If you are doing it yourself, you may not get it all sealed up in a day, thus increasing the chance of water damage. Your Call. I am also not going to disagree with Ed, but if this is your first roof, a hip is really not the best one to start on. You have 4 ridges which have to be done just right or they will leak. Again your choice. Good Luck

Old 02-16-04, 04:33 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

It turns out that I might also be able to get a 2nd uncle or something like that of my fiances to help me with it, he is a roofer or a builder or something. I will probably go that way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: