Vinyl siding

Old 02-19-04, 07:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vinyl siding

Planning on replacing the old vinyl siding on my rental. It has no overhang so I need to have the windows sealed well, especially on the weatherside. The windows are wood framed and I plan to leave them wood and repaint them. Kinda like them that way. I have had some leakage around the upstairs windows so I'm concerned. Will chalking around the windows when the old siding is removed, putting house wrap on, then using the vinyl channel around the windows be sufficient?

Old 02-25-04, 06:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Help

Old 03-07-04, 03:56 PM
S
Michael: What you asked is true. Remove the old siding, look for and replace any damaged wood, caulk all new and existing seams around windows carefully, put up vapor barrier, and then put up the j-channels, undersil treatments in vinyl. I think they also recommend to back caulk (put caulking on the back of the j-channel) as you nail it to the house. But check with the manufacturer on that part. Hope this helps. I have not done siding, but plan to in April on my Cape. I have read a ton, talked with professionals in the family/friends circle, and did watch the home time video. Its pretty helpful. Plus the VSI (Vinyl Siding Institute) has a great website to help. Good luck. Peace: e3

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: