Cracked Roof Tiles

Old 02-20-04, 12:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cracked Roof Tiles

The roof at my house is made of clay tiles and I recently spotted 3 that have cracked. They are thin cracks that run along the length of the tile. I read somewhere that I can seal the crack using some kind of sealer fo this purpose. Does anyone know what this is and where I can get some.

Also is it better to seal the crack or to replace the tile. I've not looked around but I'm not sure how easy it is to find an exact match for the pattern. I have the name of the manufacturer and the model no but it is not something home centers seem to sell.

Old 02-20-04, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You say clay tile. All that we have here by me is cement tile on the roofs. There is a heavy white mastic like paint that I have use on my tile roof here. Home depot has it ED

Old 02-20-04, 04:03 PM
Most houses around here have clay tiles - the red ones. I understand that there should be some kind of sealant for this kind of tiles. I'm not sure if the sealant for the concrete tiles will work on clay ones. Also since they are red the white color of the paint you mentioned may not look so good.

Old 02-23-04, 01:38 AM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
Yes thereis a clear cilicone caulk used to reseal these tiles, but I would just replace it. If your roof is still under warranty call your roofing contractor and have them replace them.

Old 02-23-04, 02:19 PM
Yes, you're probably right. I do know the manufacturer's name and tile model no but when I went to their web site this model is no longer listed. I will probably contact them to find out what replacement they have.

Do you know if there are any websites or articles I can find on the proper procedure for doing this work as I've not worked with clay tiles before.

Old 02-23-04, 03:07 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
Are you talking about the tils that is S shaped. or the two piece tile also called Mexican tile. were you lay two tile's next to each other. They're shaped like a U. and then a 3rd piece placed upside down on the two of them.

Old 02-23-04, 04:31 PM
Rather than try to describe it I thought I would put up a couple of pictures of the roof. This is what the tiles look like.

http://www.geocities.com/rperinpa/tile1_lowres.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/rperinpa/tile2_lowres.jpg

Does this show what we are talking about?

Old 02-23-04, 05:47 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
Tried, it didn't work. You can send it to me in my personal e-mail. It's in my profile.

Old 02-23-04, 06:33 PM
I could not figure out your e-mail - at least it does not seem to be in your profile.

Try copying and pasting the link directly into the browser. This has happened with other pictures I've posted in other topics. Although it works for me it does not seem to work for some people. The copy and paste so far seems to be the fix.

If this does not work I will email. You can send me the email info via private message.

Old 02-23-04, 08:07 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
Rav it's liarsandmartyrs@yahoo.com. I stil can't figure out that whole cut and paste thing. I'm just a dumb old drywaller. LOL.

Old 02-23-04, 09:26 PM
Rav,

Can't post pics here on the forums, not my call. sorry

You can publish them to a hosting site. like http:/www.snapfish.com & then post the link here.

boardslinger - cut & paste is as simple as running a roto-zip, it's easy when you know how! Naw seriously man, just left click & hold to highlight, then right click will bring up menu, choose copy, then go to document or page where you want to paste & right click in the appropriate spot & choose paste. even an old drywaller like me that started out double nailin, (with box nails) can figure it out. Kids got no work ethic these days! I'll stand on that.

Yeah I'm old, but I banged 3000' of 5/8"x10' stand-ups today, since my 20 something help was too hung over to show up for work on a Monday, now there's a surprise

Old 02-24-04, 01:01 AM
awesomedell,

Sorry do not understand what you meant. The links I provided is for pictures uploaded to an external site - not on this forum. Yes, I agree one could use the snapfish site also.

boardslinger - it is not a good idea to put your email address up like this on a public forum unless you want to attract lots of spam (unsolicited emails) offering you all sorts of unwelcome garbage (at least I think for most people). I would delete that post if I were you. That's why I asked you to send it to me via private message.

Old 02-24-04, 02:29 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
It's o.k rav I have a spam gaurd.
Awesome I will agree with you 150% on that. Kids today don't know the least bit about true honest good hard work. Shoot even people my own age don't. Not that I'm putting myself in the same category as the old timers I learned from but I think we are a dying breed. When hanging simple T.I.'s our company expects 10 sheets an hour, per person. The only one on the job that can do this under the age of 40 is me. And I have to listen to people all day at times brag about how nobody hangs board as fast as they can. That is until they are doing 6 and me and the old timers are doing 10 or more.

Old 02-24-04, 04:02 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
Rav I got the pic. Thanks. It's called W tile. At least it was when I was roofing. It's probably got some politicaly correct name now.LOL. Just call the roofing co. that installed it and tell them you need W tile replaced. If they call it something specific, they will still know what you are talking about.

Old 02-24-04, 06:33 PM
Thanks boardslinger - I'll have a go at that!

Old 02-25-04, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
boardslinger if you just hit on that www and copy then paste it in the address it will take you right to the picture he had there.You have to take off that [url] on the end of it

rav 12 if you cant get the tile and from the looks of the color. Home depot did have some of that roof coat I said about in a red . You might look at it .

ED

Old 02-27-04, 12:17 AM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
Rav, what's the word? Any thing from the roofing co.? Let us know what turns up.

Old 02-27-04, 12:37 AM
boardslinger - I've not attended to it yet. I need to pull out the homeowner docs and figure out the name of the developer of the homes around here. I'll need to contact them to get the name of the roofing co that did the roof - I guess it would have been subcontracted.

Do you know if roofs have a warranty period and is there any kind of "standard" warranty period? The home is about 6 years old.

Old 02-27-04, 12:20 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
Yes Rav, Generally roofs have a warranty of 20 to 30 years, depending on the material used. When I was doing tile roofing, they were calling them a 30 year roof. Good Luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: