painting old tin roof

Old 02-24-04, 11:24 AM
inez
Visiting Guest
Question painting old tin roof

Our old tin roof has gotten pretty rusty but we can't afford to replace it yet. It only has patches of silver paint left on it.

We've been told to get as much rust off as possible with a wire brush. Is there any more thorough or faster method? BTW, we live in Louisiana, so during the project we may be stopped by rain more than once and have a wet roof to boot. Should we try to cover it? (The humidity is such here that I don't know if there is a way to keep it dry until primed.)

Anyway, after steel brushing or whatever we need to wash off the residue. Is trisodium phosphate best for this or should we use some solvent like mineral spirits?

I figure during this we may find/create places that might need patching, so any advice on that is welcome. Would a sealer go under or over the primer, or would the primer act as a seal?

What is the best kind of primer for the job? (I'm assuming some remnants of rust will remain)

What is the right kind of paint? Someone told use latex, and we had ever dreamed of latex on metal. I want it painted an earthen color like terra cotta, and I've been told that earthen colors paints last longer because of the minerals used to make the natural colors, is this true? Is there an acrylic/latex paint specifically for roofs?

Lastly, we have little to anchor to for safety's sake. An old chimney is about it, and uneven ground to support the ladder. The roof doesn't have a solid underlayment, so we figured to stand or sit on large pieces of thin plywood to distribute our weight. Any logistical and safety tips we can pick up would be most appreciated. We're both in our 50's, and I get vertigo, so most of this falls on my husband's shoulder. He's got a week in March to get the worst of it done.

Thanks for any help,
inez

Old 02-24-04, 12:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Well, I'm generally a "use it up", "make it last", "get your money's worth out of it", kind of guy, but, in this case I might make an exception.

If you're talking about the corrugated type of roof, I would inspect it first for any soon to be rusted through spots. If there aren't any, and you might be replacing it in a year or two, ignore it. You can't see it from your den, right?

The enite process sounds to me like shoveling seawater against the tide, using a pitchfork!!!

The only way I would tackle this job is in small patches, sandblast, or otherwise clean up a 3' X 5' section, then brush on a primer THE SAME COLOR AS THE ROOF. Then move to another section and do the same. To get an idea of the amount of work involved pick a nice day one weekend, mark off a 2'X2' area and clean and paint that much, then figure out how many square feet your roof is and multiply to see how many hours you're looking at. At that point you'll probably agree with my first suggestion.

One other thing, I had one of these on a garage roof of a house I flipped. There were two bad spots, rusted all the way through. I bought two panels at the local building center, pulled the screws, slid out the old and slid in the new panels, sank new screws. Obviously the new panels looked different from the old, but like I said you can't see it from my den.

Besides the amount of work, sunny days in Lousisana in March, you must be kidding me, isn't it always rainy in March?

Frank

Old 02-24-04, 12:49 PM
inez
Visiting Guest

You said: Our old tin roof has gotten pretty rusty but we can't afford to replace it yet. It only has patches of silver paint left on it.
No choice really but to paint. We need to do something now and can't afford to replace it.

You said: If you're talking about the corrugated type of roof, I would inspect it first for any soon to be rusted through spots.
Since there is no underlayment we can see most of it from our attic. We'll check again, of course, before beginning, but so far we haven't found anything rusted through.

You said: then brush on a primer THE SAME COLOR AS THE ROOF...
OK, we've heard mop and we've heard roll, and now brush; so which is optimum? And which primer? I'm assuming you mean the silver paint or primer. (Our roof is basically rust colored now, but not from paint.) We want a rust prohibitive primer that will accommodate a colored paint coat on top. So, which primer?

We are glad to hear someone suggest sandblasting. That wire brush idea sounded like hell.

You said: One other thing, I had one of these on a garage roof of a house I flipped.
We had begun to consider this. Wouldn't we still have clean away and maybe seal the bad side though to prevent it from continuing to degrade and from spreading rust dust down into the attic/house? Then still should prime/paint the good side to keep it good once flipped?

You said: Besides the amount of work, sunny days in Lousisana in March, you must be kidding me, isn't it always rainy in March?
There's really only a choice between cold, warm and hot rainy days. There is no particular month or season that isn't rainy where we are. It's been too cold up to now, and "April showers bring..." still more possibilities of torrential rains, and later will be REALLY HOT. So, March it is.

Thanks,
inez

Old 02-24-04, 01:31 PM
For a fast and be done with it job that will last you for a time . Get the regular roof coat for the metal roofs like you have and for trailers. You brush it on with big brushes.If you sand blast there wont be anything left of it get white are aluminum. you sure dont want a dark roof down here in the south for summer. We just wash them off with tsp let it dry and put it on. there also is a white in that rubber like for cement tile roofs that I have use also works just as good. Dont even think latex paint for up there ED

Old 02-24-04, 02:14 PM
inez
Visiting Guest

Ed said: If you sand blast there wont be anything left of it get white are aluminum.
I'm sorry, could you clarify this? Not understanding

As for the sealer/paint, well I don't care if we use that aluminum looking stuff to seal, but I can't abide it as a final color. I'd love it if there were and actual copper paint for roofs. I'd like a real copper roof! But, I want a medium color, not dark. A medium terra cotta about the shade of clay plant posts is the general idea, or those ceramic roof tiles once they've gotten faded. A local paint store told my husband to seal/prime with the other stuff first, then paint with latex roof paint. I didn't know there was such a thing as latex roof paint. But you say not to use the latex. Why? What else can we use on top of the other?

Thanks,
inez

Old 02-24-04, 02:26 PM
As I said You dont want a dark color on a roof down here in the south in the summer time. If you tried to sand blast it would go right through the metal.Oh well Go to home depot or Lowes They have this rubber like paint for roofs and you can get it in colors. Just had a guy ,was going to do his roof in copper till he found out it would cost over $10K just for the copper . A very small home at that. Talk to some trailer guys around you there see what they have to say. ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: