Dimensional vs. 3-tab?

Old 02-25-04, 07:20 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dimensional vs. 3-tab?

Hey all,

I've now had a few roofers out to give estimates. They seem to be around $160-170/square for the entire job. One was a little more expensive but he claims to be using "higher grade" materials such as 15lb UL grade felt. He also recommended going with dimensional shingles instead of 3-tab as they are 30year instead of the 3-tab being 25year. Oh yeah, the workmanship warranty is for 3 years. He's replacing the chimney flashing, pipe collars, but said it didn't look like I'd need new drip edge.
I have 2 questions:

1) Is it worth it to go for dimensional instead of 3-tab? Will it add any value to the home since I'll probably be selling in 4 years. What advantages/disadvantges?

2) Is there a real benefit of using 15# UL grade vs. std 15# felt?

Thanks for your answers!!

Old 02-26-04, 04:18 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would probably go with the dimensional for the simple fact that if you are going to be selling it, it will look alot better. Also, put on new drip edge. You always put on new drip edge. Funny he would say different. Either felt is ok. One is just an upgrade. He is giving you some choices. One thing about dimensional shingles is that there is very little waste. In three tab you have alot of waste. Now you have to make a decision. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: