Leaky low slope cricket

Old 02-26-04, 06:38 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaky low slope cricket

I'm in a manufactured home, triplewide, that has a cricket about 24 feet each way and about 3 feet fall, 1.5/12. Roll roofing crosswise. One end is a chronic leaker because it pools near the low end. It's OK right now because I've patched it again. I would like to know how to rebuild it come summer because there is dry rot below. I could repeat the same method, but wondered if there is a better covering than granulated roll roofing--maybe a self-adhering product? I know I will have to r&r the asphalt shingles maybe to the ridges and correct the fall. Just want to know if I'm missing something.

Alternatively, I'll just keep building up the low area with roofing cement and possibly fiberglass, hoping to get it leakproof. That ignores the dry rot, though it doesn't appear that's the cause of the low spot. The low spot seems to be a miscalculation during construction.

Old 02-27-04, 01:52 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Would there just be anyway that you can build right over it and raise the pitch say to 2.5" or 3" on 12". So you could shingle it?
ED

Old 02-27-04, 09:06 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Ed, for the response.

Yes, it would be possible to extend the roofs on up to meet. I have seen that on a similar triplewide. That would be about 12 x 40, which is pretty ambitious for me.

And moneywise I'm not a big spender, that's why we're in a manufactured home with a leaky roof!

But your input is appreciated,
Rich32

Old 02-28-04, 11:10 AM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
fire & ice

Cover the entire area with a Fire & Ice membrane. This is a self sealing membrane on one side. Nails can be driven through it and it seals around them. This product is specifically used for ice dam protection. How effective it is, a roofer's field experience could tell you. You'll have to carry it on up the valley a ways I'm affraid though, So that if it dams, you'll have the protection from under.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: