paper, then the roofing. Is this the correct way, because who
ever did what is on it now, put everything on it, then the sheet
metal edging on last.
Thanks for your help
Billy the Kid

Old 02-28-04, 07:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am assuming the sheet metal edging you are referring to is drip edge. Typically @ the first 3 feet from the gutter up I apply Grace Ice & water shield. This product sticks to the roof deck by adhesive already on the membrane and raps over and sticks to the fascia (gutter board). I then cover the rest of the decking with 30lb. felt paper. After the felt paper is applied I cut all excess from the edges the install my drip edge. Then following manufactures instruction according to the type of shingle you choose start laying. It might be a good Idea depending on how much help you have to do one side of the roof at a time. You wouldn’t want to get caught in a rainstorm with your whole roof exposed. Have some tarps handy as well. Hope this helps good luck.

Old 02-29-04, 08:50 AM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
Yes Billy, Sheeting 1st, then Metal, then Paper, Then roofing. This is the correct way. Good Luck.

Old 02-29-04, 06:27 PM
J
I agree with homerthefoamer, only tearoff what you can dry in before weather can strike. The first two of three eave deatail on the Grace Ice & Water page ( http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/...ngs.html&did=8 ) apply to you. I doesn't look like URL's are coming out as links. I'm probably doing something wrong. Copy & paste into your browser to get there.
Jim

Old 03-01-04, 09:54 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sounds like you all have it made. Here its take off the roof rework the plywood ,put drip edge on put 30 lb felt with ring nails12 on center then had code look at it that takes about 3 to4 days . Then you can do the shingles. ED

Old 03-02-04, 04:56 AM
J
Ed,
You have a nail inspection on dryins in your area? We have it only for nails in the plywood. (6" perimeter, 12" field) Its a hassle to schedule because the roof is open while waiting. Most local inspectors will give emergency service to re-roofs of occupied homes, but not always.
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: