Skylights - clean or replace?

Old 03-03-04, 01:37 PM
G Garrett
Visiting Guest
Question Skylights - clean or replace?

I recently purchased a home that has some dust and dirt build-up between the bubble and the second pane of glass in one roof skylight. I believe this accumulated when the roof was replaced back in November of 2003 knowing the roof was completely redecked and that the skylights had to have been removed to do so. My intention at first was to remove the bubble, clean the plate beneath and re secure and seal the bubble. But before doing so, I contacted the roofing company who was responsible for replacing the roof hoping they might clean and reseal the skylight for me. Instead apon their inspection, I was informed that I needed to replace the skylight(s) as there is no way to remove and clean the pane beneath the outer bubble. Both skylights are original to the home (1982) but only one shows dirt beneath it and the slightest bit of moisture which would indicate a breach in the seal.

Does anyone know if this is true that these should be replaced, or can I remove, clean and reseal the bubble frame with a good quality silicone sealant?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 03-06-04, 11:13 AM
Roofdog
Visiting Guest
do what you can with it...and when it leaks get a professional to replace it,they all leak except velux skylites.

Old 03-08-04, 08:03 AM
G Garrett
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

So you're saying if I can remove the cover, I should at least attempt cleaning it and resealing. Any recommendations on what would be best to use to reseal?

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-08-04, 10:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If your going to give it a try . Do it on a very dry day . Id go with GE clear for a sealer. The one for the bath tub. ED

Old 03-09-04, 10:34 AM
G Garrett
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for the suggestions.

Another related question for the roofing pros out there. These skylights are most likely original and therefore 20 years old. They look in good condition and are a single bubble which I was told should be replaced with a newer double bubble dome. Reason were the R factor with a newer light as well as durability, since I live in the tornado belt and we get frequent hail storms. Should I jump on this suggestion and consider replacing these skylights or figure since they have been there for 20 years and seem reasonable sound, that they can at least last until the roof needs replacing again if properly cleaned, sealed and checked regularly?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: