Is modified bitumen good?

Old 03-04-04, 07:41 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is modified bitumen good?

I live in South Florida and am replacing the roof.
Part of the roof is a flat roof.. One contractor says that they will use modified bitumen. They say that this is far superior to using the hot-mop with asphalt. Is this true?

They also say that there will be no need for the annual maintenance of painting the flat roof with the aluminum coating. Is this true?

Is there another option beside modified bitumen or hot asphalt?

Thanks for any help and opinions.

Old 03-05-04, 07:32 AM
Yes.
A "modified bitumen" is a good roof.
He is also correct about the maintenance. With a "built-up" roof where the asphalt is left exposed, it needs to be "maintenanced" by re-coating it at least every 2 years.
With a "modified" roof, you can either mop it down, torch it on, or use a cold-process method, and then you're really done with it.
There are modifieds with warranties of 10, 15, and 20 years.

Don't fear the modified

Old 03-16-04, 10:38 AM
I
What kind of estimates are you getting?

I just got an estimate of $850 to tear up a 1.5 sq flat BUR and replace it with modified bitumen. Seems a bit high, but I'm curious to see what bids are like in other areas.

Old 03-17-04, 08:43 AM
tear off- check and repair decking haul away debris.fiberglass underlay torch membrane replace or reuse flashings better get it before the spring time gets here and the prices go back up

Old 03-19-04, 10:26 AM
F
Irishguy,

I have been away for a while. My apologies for the slow reply.

I live in South Florida and the cost of roofs are 'thru the roof'! :-)

Judging from the other posts on this board, it is VERY expensive here. The shingle portion of the house is about 2200 sq ft and the flat portion that will be modified bitumen is about 320 sq ft. The quote was $12,200. That is a little above the average that I was quoted. I don't really know how much I am paying for the modified bitumen because the quote included the shingle portion of the roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: